To just have a look at what is available in the system, there is the KDE Info Center. But it is in no way as comprehensive as Windows like installing new driver, rollback driver etc.Originally Posted by electronicjason
Is there an equivalent in Knoppix to the Windows "device manager".
And is there anything that will show me the USB devices connected to the computer also?
Jason
To just have a look at what is available in the system, there is the KDE Info Center. But it is in no way as comprehensive as Windows like installing new driver, rollback driver etc.Originally Posted by electronicjason
Comprehensive? I certainly wouldn't have used that word- I think cute and fuzzy but mostly useless is a better descriptor of the hardware manager.Originally Posted by garyng
Anyway...to the actual question. There are all sorts of different ways to see info about hardware- each Linux desktop environment has its own. But they all (more or less) are just frontends for an actual command. But rather than compare apples to oranges I will actually answer your question.
The following will work on ANY Linux system- irregardless of the particular distro and desktop environment you are using.
lspci -v
cat /proc/pci
cat /proc/interrupts
cat /proc/bus/usb/devicecs
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
cat /proc/cpuinfo
procinfo -f
free
X -version
df -haT
Specifically- for USB there is an app called 'usbview'. Just enter usbview in a terminal.
After installing Knoppix via KNX-HDINSTALL, when I run usbview in a terminal window, I get an error message that pops up in a window:
Can not open the file /proc/bus/usb/devices
Verify that you have USB compiled into your kernal, have the USB core modules loaded, and have the usbdevfs filesystem mounted.
This is the same on three systems. When I run Knoppix from the CD, all is fine. everything is detected, etc.
Any ideas?
Sure- it can't mount it because it can't find it in fstab methinks.Originally Posted by richeddy
Just add this to your /etc/fstab:
none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
That oughtta do it.
Ah, methinks you are on to something. I added that line to my fstab file and now I can manually mount it, but only as root. Further, if I mount it as root I cannot read or write it as user. How do I change this? Oh, and thanks for the help!Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
Well what word to describe it doesn't matter, the fact is, it is much better in terms of knowing what hardware are detected by the system and what drivers have been loaded, comparing to what is in linux. What would be the equivalent in linux ? none I can think of.Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
As for useless, I tend to agree but not because it lacks functionality but more towards that one usually don't need it as the hardware detection/driver loading mechanism of XP is so good that one seldom needs to play around with the device manager.
For a linux expert, one can always beat the device manager(the flexibility is just uncomparable) but for joe user, linux has a long long way to go. Isn't it true that one of the most praised 'advantage' of KNOPPIX is its hardware detection ? That tells you what is the weakness of linux.

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99
Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99
Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99
Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00
Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS
$8199.99
Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC
$10499.99
Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86
Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch
$179.99
Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99
Juniper EX2300-24P 24-port Gigabit RJ-45 PoE 4-port 10Gb SFP+ Network Switch
$89.99