Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Partition permissions...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1

    Partition permissions...

    Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm relatively new to Linux. I did a HD install from the knoppix cd (knoppix-installer) and all went well. There is one thing that is confusing me though. I created a user (during install) named buck. I have an NTFS partition where Win2k Pro resides. User buck is in the users group. However, if I have this line in /etc/fstab...

    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs auto,users,exec,ro 0 0

    I cannot access this partition as buck, only as root. I get a permission denied. However, if I change it to...

    /dev/hda /mnt/hda1 ntfs auto,users,exec,ro,uid=buck,gid=buck 0 0

    I can access it just fine. I thought that, since buck is definitely in the users group, I should not have to specify uid and gid, the fact that users is specified should allow all users access, right? I'm only concerned because if, and when, additional users are added the /etc/fstab file could get a little hairy with the way it is currently working.

    Any ideas, or corrections in my thinking, are greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6
    Try

    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs user,defaults,auto 0 0

    I'm not at all sure if it works, but I just tested that with those options I can mount/umount partitions and with different users.

    But of course only root or the user that mounted the partition, can unmount it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2

    Ditto

    I am experiencing exactly the same thing. Any help with this would be cool. This is my first LINUX install so consider a complete Newb. It's taken me an hour or two just to fiqure out this fstab configuration malarky.

    Cheers
    Mr Wonka

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Partition permissions...

    --Since it's read-only it doesn't matter, but with the uid and gid set, I think *only* buck (and root) can access the mount. Try adding buck to group "disk" instead.

    (' ls -al /dev/hda ' for the ownership clue.)

    Quote Originally Posted by buckinpgh
    Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm relatively new to Linux. I did a HD install from the knoppix cd (knoppix-installer) and all went well. There is one thing that is confusing me though. I created a user (during install) named buck. I have an NTFS partition where Win2k Pro resides. User buck is in the users group. However, if I have this line in /etc/fstab...

    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs auto,users,exec,ro 0 0

    I cannot access this partition as buck, only as root. I get a permission denied. However, if I change it to...

    /dev/hda /mnt/hda1 ntfs auto,users,exec,ro,uid=buck,gid=buck 0 0

    I can access it just fine. I thought that, since buck is definitely in the users group, I should not have to specify uid and gid, the fact that users is specified should allow all users access, right? I'm only concerned because if, and when, additional users are added the /etc/fstab file could get a little hairy with the way it is currently working.

    Any ideas, or corrections in my thinking, are greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Similar Threads

  1. Permissions
    By w5uc in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 08:18 PM
  2. fscked permissions?
    By n01mportant in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 10:27 PM
  3. KDE permissions and user permissions!!!
    By newiaqua in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 07:49 PM
  4. n00bquestion: HDD-partition-permissions?
    By dragonlord in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 04:36 AM
  5. change permissions
    By tony177 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 10:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE picture

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE

$225.00



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone picture

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone

$225.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW picture

Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW

$450.00



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE picture

Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE

$149.00