Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Post Hdd install boot (lilo) question

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    5100N 0019W
    Posts
    19

    Post Hdd install boot (lilo) question

    Having just finished doing the hard disc install, I followed the instructions at the FAQ's and most things have gone well.

    So far the only major thing that I can't do is boot it with lilo. Below is the extract that dealt with the debian install that I have installed the knoppix 3.3 over the top of.

    image=/debian/vmlinuz
    label="debian"
    root=/dev/hda4
    initrd=/debian/boot/initrd.img
    append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"
    vga=normal
    read-only

    Apart from the label and root directory, can anyone tell me what I need to change or modify to get it to boot the knoppix install please?

    Many thanks.

    regards

    John

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Post Hdd install boot (lilo) question

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn
    image=/debian/vmlinuz
    label="debian"
    root=/dev/hda4
    initrd=/debian/boot/initrd.img
    append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"
    vga=normal
    read-only
    Change to:
    Code:
    image=/vmlinuz
    	label="debian"
    	root=/dev/hda4
    	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    	append="hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"
    	vga=normal
    	read-only

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    5100N 0019W
    Posts
    19
    Cheers for the pointer Stephen,

    I changed it to be the same as per your post, the only difference is that I left it as

    image=/boot/vmlinuz

    Which started it, but dropped me into a command prompt, level 2 or is it 3?

    so I logged in, and tried the "kdm" but had to su to root, and then it wouldn't start kde or kdm.

    Have you any other suggestions that I might try? Oh, and I can still boot into debian/knoppix with the floppy, but when I try to see if anything on the floppy might help, I get /mnt/floppy file or directory no longer exists.

    regards

    John

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    5100N 0019W
    Posts
    19
    Well,

    I just went back and changed it to



    image=/vmlinuz

    to see if that made any difference, but no.

    One thing that I did notice, was that when it was booting (having selected debian) It seemed to be trying to boot the mandrake kernel version - and gave loads of errors refering to that.

    Though when I boot with the floppy, it seems to boot correctly.

    Any idea's what I need to do??

    regards

    John

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn
    Well,

    I just went back and changed it to



    image=/vmlinuz

    to see if that made any difference, but no.

    One thing that I did notice, was that when it was booting (having selected debian) It seemed to be trying to boot the mandrake kernel version - and gave loads of errors refering to that.

    Though when I boot with the floppy, it seems to boot correctly.

    Any idea's what I need to do??

    regards

    John
    You could just chainload to your knoppix install use:
    Code:
    other=/dev/hda4
            label=Knoppix
    in your Mandrake lilo and after having booted from the floppy /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda4 to write lilo to your / partition instead of your MBR then when you select Knoppix from your Mandrake lilo you will get another lilo to boot the actual install. Alternatively you could copy vmlinuz from your /dev/hda4 root Knoppix directory to your Mandrake / and it will use that kernel image to boot with instead of trying to use your Mandrake kernel to boot the knoppix root you will most likely need to rename it something like vmlinuz-knoppix to stop it from overwriting your Mandrake one.

    With the floppy error you should try to access it by just /floppy that should be there or if not then /dev/fd0 that is guarenteed to exist.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn
    Cheers for the pointer Stephen,

    I changed it to be the same as per your post, the only difference is that I left it as

    image=/boot/vmlinuz




    John
    image=/boot/vmlinuz ?

    look into your boot directory, knoppix kernel
    is something like

    vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs

    then
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    5100N 0019W
    Posts
    19
    Edited due to total "balls up"

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    5100N 0019W
    Posts
    19

    Still not booting from hard disc

    well, after 8 or 9 hours of messing about, it still won't boot from the hard drive.

    I have reburned the disc, re-installed about 4 or 5 times, and have managed to get things back to "square 1"

    The only difference being, that last time I re-installed, I managed to install a boot loader with the knoppix.

    I then checked the /etc/lilo.conf and got the details that should have been in the mandrake bootloader in the first place.

    I have then re-installed the mandrake bootloader and modified the knoppix entry to read

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
    label="Knoppix"
    root=/dev/hda4
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    append="hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"
    vga=normal
    read-write

    and as far as I can tell, this entry should be correct.

    But it still won't boot the knoppix install.

    The only apparent way of booting into knoppix is with a boot floppy.

    I can only presume that there is more to it than what I have managed to find out (which isn't much!).

    Does anyone have any other idea's please?

    regards

    John

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Have you copied the vmlinuz and possibly the initrd.gz of knoppix to your mandrake install that is where it will be looking for it and have you tried just chainloading it like I suggested above?

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    5100N 0019W
    Posts
    19
    could you elaborate on that please Stephen, i.e. how would I do that?

    regards

    John

    p.s. Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, my linux/mandrake/debian/knoppix knowledge is that vast, I could write it all on the back of a very small postage stamp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 3.8 question: Can't boot from Lilo
    By carfield in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 12:59 PM
  2. Trouble with LILO, fresh install won't boot
    By lwsimon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 02:31 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 02:24 PM
  4. Boot from HD Partition without Lilo after hd-Install
    By andig in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 01:38 PM
  5. Knoppix post-HD install question
    By dfield58 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-19-2003, 06:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller picture

Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller

$68.99