Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Uninstalling Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1

    Uninstalling Knoppix

    I want to uninstall Knoppix. I have already made the partition at which Knoppix was installed a FAT 32 system, but now when I start Windows I need to format the whole partition. My question is if I format the partition will this only format the partition or the whole disk?
    By the way how can I get rid of the LILO bootloader?


    Thank you in advance,

    Anne

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1

    same here

    I also would like to take Knoppix off my hd.

    I think it is the best version of linux that I have tried so far...this includes Slackware, debian,mandrake, red hat and topologilinux. (all the newest versions)

    My problem is with Win XP Pro and not with Knoppix...But I wold like to also get rid of the bootloader.....( I think it's Grub ).

    I will install knoppix on a seperate compute and be happy with that.

    It's just too much work to get these 2 systemes to live on the same computer and have a very stable system.

    thanks for a great CD.

    jmazz

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Instructions for restoring your MBR can be found here. Isn't it amazing that the best windowze support comes form the Linux community?

    Sorry Anne- I have no idea what wimpdoze will do to your hard drive (of course Bill doesn't know either now does he?).

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Uninstalling Knoppix

    --Assuming your new Fat32 partition is /dev/hda2, from the knoppix cd:
    ' mkdosfs -F 32 -v /dev/hda2 '

    --Now some systems require that the Fat32 partition be not just of type b (Fat32), it may need to be type c (FAT32 LBA.) Just FYI. I've run into this on one old 500mhz computer, had to change the extended partition from type 5 (Extended) to type f (Win95 Extended LBA).

    --Once windows boots and recognizes the new fat drive, I highly recommend you re-format it from within Windows just for peace of mind.

    --If you need further guidance, post results of ' fdisk -l ' from Knoppix cd, as root.

    Quote Originally Posted by anman
    I want to uninstall Knoppix. I have already made the partition at which Knoppix was installed a FAT 32 system, but now when I start Windows I need to format the whole partition. My question is if I format the partition will this only format the partition or the whole disk?
    By the way how can I get rid of the LILO bootloader?


    Thank you in advance,

    Anne

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2
    I uninstalled knoppix from my hd, but now i'm missing hard drive space.

    10gb and now after uninstallating 9.36

    whats wrong?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --You need Partition Magic or equivalent to merge the blank space into an existing partition, or change the partition type to Windows-compatible and format it as an extra drive. Post results of ' fdisk -l ' as root from knoppix.

    Quote Originally Posted by ixc3xrx
    I uninstalled knoppix from my hd, but now i'm missing hard drive space.

    10gb and now after uninstallating 9.36

    whats wrong?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2
    ok, I see it now, but i think the swap partion isnt deleted because there is still about 500mb missing, and is the size that i made the swap, is this possible? and if so, how would i delete it, it doesnt show up in partion magic.

Similar Threads

  1. Uninstalling Java from knoppix
    By beforewisdom in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 06:01 AM
  2. Uninstalling software
    By astump in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 10:13 PM
  3. uninstalling programs
    By s-r-b in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 05:59 PM
  4. Uninstalling firewall
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 05:20 PM
  5. uninstalling knoppix
    By bigfootedman in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2003, 06:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD picture

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD

$249.00



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$166.49



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



HP EliteBook 850 G6 15.6

HP EliteBook 850 G6 15.6" Core i5-8265U 1.60GHz 8GB RAM AMD Lexa GPU PWR Adapter

$120.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99