Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Newbie: need help getting mplayer installed (dep hell)

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    45

    Newbie: need help getting mplayer installed (dep hell)

    I'd appreciate any help someone could give trying to get mplayer installed in the newest knoppix 3.3 9/24/03.
    I've remastered it getting rid of all games, koffice, language packs to make room and getting rid of unnecesary/unused packages but when it came to replacing xine with mplayer 0.90 I got some dependency hell with libvorbis. libvorbis0a 1.0.0-3 (176kb) is already installed but mplayer wants libvorbis0 1.0rc3. I've finally gotten a repository with the correct version but when I try to update the package it tells me it will also take kde-base and several other packages (40mb) with it. Which obviously I don't wanna do that but I'm not sure what I need to do. I am a relative newbie to linux, only been on for a year or so and trying to get into debian cause I love apt-get and redhat is getting annoying.

    i'd really appreciate your time and help
    thanks in advance
    Geoff

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Newbie: need help getting mplayer installed (dep hell)

    Quote Originally Posted by freeballer
    I'd appreciate any help someone could give trying to get mplayer installed in the newest knoppix 3.3 9/24/03.
    I've remastered it getting rid of all games, koffice, language packs to make room and getting rid of unnecesary/unused packages but when it came to replacing xine with mplayer 0.90 I got some dependency hell with libvorbis. libvorbis0a 1.0.0-3 (176kb) is already installed but mplayer wants libvorbis0 1.0rc3. I've finally gotten a repository with the correct version but when I try to update the package it tells me it will also take kde-base and several other packages (40mb) with it. Which obviously I don't wanna do that but I'm not sure what I need to do. I am a relative newbie to linux, only been on for a year or so and trying to get into debian cause I love apt-get and redhat is getting annoying.

    i'd really appreciate your time and help
    thanks in advance
    Geoff
    Ok try this.

    You need to open /etc/apt/sources.list in a text editor and add the repositories listed at the bottom of this page (at least the testing and unstable entries.

    Then do an apt-get update.

    Finally try installing mplayer with this command.

    apt-get -t unstable install mplayer

    The "-t unstable" part should help you out with your dependencies. It works for me at least.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    libvorbis is one of the most troublesome package I have seen in debian. The solution I have which seems to be working quite nicely is to pin it in the /etc/apt/preferences file.

    Package: libvorbis
    Pin: release a=stable
    Priority: 1001

    In this way, no matter whatever source you have, so long you have the woody/stable in sources.list, it would be installed and the woody source is rc3. You can alter the Pin condition to exact version string too. There is some documentation in www.debian.org which talks about pinning, worth reading if you mix repository sources.

    Altering the sources.list is an alternative(as suggested by aay) but I want to have a fixed sources.list and still be able to mix and match packages(that is really a tough task) from different repositories.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    really tnx... libvorbis has caused me lots of trouble, too. there seem to be several incompattible versions like v 1.0a vs 1.0rc3. some progs really need 1.0a, others 1.0rc3 - and both can't be installed. very stupid imho... Hope they fix it before the new stable comes out

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    45

    thanks to both garyng & aay

    thank you both for your help in this matter, you've both given me some great ideas to get this working and i appreciate your help. I just wanted to say that again cause you've both given me some great info

Similar Threads

  1. I am in hell, Trust me.
    By Schopenhauer101 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 06:25 AM
  2. MPlayer
    By Pasq in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 05:18 PM
  3. Java Upgrade Hell
    By Arkaein in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 04:00 AM
  4. mplayer
    By xyz in forum Ideas
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 10:30 PM
  5. Everything goes to hell after ppoe install... plz help me
    By Jackson5 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-30-2003, 05:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99