-
Firewire external HDD
I'm running Knoppix (various versions, up to 3.1 1/1/2003) from CD on a machine with one internal HDD and an external one (in a Firewire/USB 1.1 enclosure) connected through Firewire. It seems the Orange Micro Firewire/USB2.0 PCI host card I'm using isn't recognized, as the drive never pops up under Knoppix, in contrast to the internal IDE HDD. I could try connecting the external drive via the mainboard USB 1.1 or 2.0 ports on the Orange Micro card of course, but will never get decent throughput as firewire is the only fast connection I've got on the external drive enclosure. Any data on available/missing firewire host card drivers in Knoppix. and what to do about that?
thanks,
Guy (guy underscore hermans at hotmail dot com)
-
to load the modules
modprobe ohci1394
modprobe raw1394
to check if your device is online
gscanbus
download this script
http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/rescan-scsi-bus.sh
give it tthe execution right on root
after mount the partition
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/subdirectories
if it's a cdrom
mount /dev/scd2 /mnt/...
-
This is how I got mine to work:
Method:
1-> Login as the administrator
2-> Edit the /etc/devices/drivers file
3-> Add the line 50 ieee1394
4-> Add the line 51 ohci1394
5-> Add the line 52 sbp2
6-> Save the file
7-> run the command gscanbus
8-> Restart the machine
I then created the mount points for each of the 4 partitions and added them to /etc/fstab.
I think the raw1394 module is only required if you are going to connect a Video Camera
Jim
-
witthout the raw module my hdd is not know.. but i will ttry your method..
thanks
-
It should be fine as I spent about two weeks on various other forums and Google looking for a solution. I could get the HDD recognized, but had to remount them each time I rebooted the system. By modifying /etc/devices/drivers it allowed the HDD to mount automatically after each reboot.
Jim
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hello Guy:
I have a similar problem and so far I have not been able to resolve. Would you please post if you were able to resolve this or not? And if yes, How did you do it?
Thanks and regards
Copeloa
P.S.- I have tried using abacad's method, but was not succesfull doing it. Actually, I was able to see the driver file at all. Perhaps I did something wrong here, and will check it again.
@ lilliput: I already have the modules loaded, actually, I could not load the raw 1394, but have ohci1394 and ieee1394 loaded, but system did not allow me to mount the devices as per you post.
Edit>- Monday 22. I loaded the raw 1394, however, I still have problems mounting the external hard drive..........I just noticed that there is a new vesion, I am going to try the new version, and the firewire may work here for me...........
-
Junior Member
registered user
abacad:
As yo can gathered by my posts and this question, I am a new linux user, and in trying to follow you recommendations:
Method:
1-> Login as the administrator
2-> Edit the /etc/devices/drivers file
3-> Add the line 50 ieee1394
4-> Add the line 51 ohci1394
5-> Add the line 52 sbp2
6-> Save the file
7-> run the command gscanbus
8-> Restart the machine
have a basic question for you:
I find myself not knowing how to do that.
1.- I can go to the root shell, but do not know how to liging as the administrator.
2.- What commands do I need to run the /etc/devices/drivers file?, "Edit" is not working for me.
Thanks
Copeloa
-
i have the same problem, my external firewire-hdd is not regocnized by the system, has anyone one more idea?
i can not find the /etc/devices/drivers file!
-
Situation HDInstall of Knoppix 3.6
During the boot, I see the message that firewire is recognized and being managed by hotplug. Going into lsmod I see all the 1394 modules, but not the sbp2 module. I modprobe that, and then run gscanbus.
gscanbus then returns the error:
couldn't set port: Invalid argument
Any ideas?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Be sure that ohci1934 is loaded.
Greetins,
probono
Similar Threads
-
By remhigh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-24-2004, 07:55 PM
-
By clinthammer in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-14-2004, 04:58 AM
-
By timread in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-13-2004, 11:03 AM
-
By shiva777 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 11
Last Post: 03-24-2004, 10:56 PM
-
By copeloa in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-25-2003, 02:31 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit
$199.99

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold
$121.00

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 DIMM CMW32GX4M2E3200C16 #CD2
$160.00

Patriot Viper Steel 64GB 2x32GB DDR4 3200 PVS464G320C6
$449.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM
$120.00