Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: A UMSDOS install?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5

    A UMSDOS install?

    hello there:

    I'm a linux newbie and I'm trying to make a umsdos install.
    I'd been reading various umsdos-howto's and i can't even get straight were to begin... I mean: I don't even know how to mount the drive as umsdos.

    help please.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    Re: A UMSDOS install?

    Quote Originally Posted by rechapit
    hello there:

    I'm a linux newbie and I'm trying to make a umsdos install.
    I'd been reading various umsdos-howto's and i can't even get straight were to begin... I mean: I don't even know how to mount the drive as umsdos.

    help please.
    why umsdos ? I don't see any need for umsdos in modern linux.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5

    I wish I could make a ext2 or ext3 partition... I just can't right now (the computer I'm trying to intall linux into isn't exactly mine)
    I can't take windows anymore so I'll take linux any way I can have (even if it is as umsdos)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    In that case, the simplest would be ext2 on a file(or in other words, loop back driver). This is much more elegant than UMSDOS. You only 'polluted' the existing FAT with one large file rather than hundreds of files.

    Or just copy KNOPPIX on to the HD(which is FAT I believe) and both it from there, then use loopback file for persistent stuff.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5
    you can write in the file?
    i mean: install new programs and stuff or it is read only?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5

    ask a stupid question... of course i can!
    still... I can't get enough info on how to do it.

    I mean: how do I setup the image file? and how do I get linux to boot from there?
    please help me... I know i'm asking too much

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by rechapit

    ask a stupid question... of course i can!
    still... I can't get enough info on how to do it.

    I mean: how do I setup the image file? and how do I get linux to boot from there?
    please help me... I know i'm asking too much
    Try this http://topologi-linux.sourceforge.net/index.php

    It is not debian based but should be the answer you are asking for. They have the installation program under windows too, doing the stuff I mentioned for you.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5

    tanks for the tip

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    I wish I could make a ext2 or ext3 partition... I just can't right now (the computer I'm trying to intall linux into isn't exactly mine)
    I can't take windows anymore so I'll take linux any way I can have (even if it is as umsdos)
    Trust me - you don't want to use UMSDOS. I've done it with Phat Linux and with Slack. There were problems.

    • 1. Many (large) applications wouldn't run.

    • 2. Those that did often ran very slowly.

    • 3. When it crashed (and it will crash), it caused major problems with the hard disk. I had to run Scandisk 3 times after one crash to get it all sorted out. The FAT and FAT32 filesystems just weren't made for symlinks.

    • 4. You won't be able to see LFN's on the FAT partition you're running it from, only 8.3 ones (if that's important to you).


    If the computer you're using isn't yours, you could take out the hard drive, buy another one, and put Linux on it. Before you give the computer back, replace the hdd you bought with the original.

Similar Threads

  1. UMSDOS installation with autodetection need help
    By koukos in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 08:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read picture

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read

$199.99



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage picture

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage

$249.00



Apple Macintosh Quadra 605 Vintage Desktop Computer, Model M1476 Untested picture

Apple Macintosh Quadra 605 Vintage Desktop Computer, Model M1476 Untested

$299.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



2X Vintage Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers - IIcx/IIci - Parts Repair Untested picture

2X Vintage Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers - IIcx/IIci - Parts Repair Untested

$129.00



185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$99.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer

$95.00



Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces picture

Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces

$40.99