-
Senior Member
registered user
I wish I could make a ext2 or ext3 partition... I just can't right now (the computer I'm trying to intall linux into isn't exactly mine)
I can't take windows anymore so I'll take linux any way I can have (even if it is as umsdos)
Trust me - you don't want to use UMSDOS. I've done it with Phat Linux and with Slack. There were problems.
- 1. Many (large) applications wouldn't run.
- 2. Those that did often ran very slowly.
- 3. When it crashed (and it will crash), it caused major problems with the hard disk. I had to run Scandisk 3 times after one crash to get it all sorted out. The FAT and FAT32 filesystems just weren't made for symlinks.
- 4. You won't be able to see LFN's on the FAT partition you're running it from, only 8.3 ones (if that's important to you).
If the computer you're using isn't yours, you could take out the hard drive, buy another one, and put Linux on it. Before you give the computer back, replace the hdd you bought with the original.
Similar Threads
-
By koukos in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-27-2004, 08:50 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 12 Vintage 1960's Military Logic Cards PCB Set Germanium Transistors
$299.00

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster
$895.00

Vintage Microsoft Computer/Briefcase Bag Great Condition No Strap
$25.00

Vintage Novell Netware 3.12 Books/Manuals + BorderManager Software Kit -See Pics
$48.88

4 Rare Vintage S-100 Video Boards
$595.00

Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s
$169.99

Vintage Sonic Solutions Macintosh Power Mac 3.5" Floppy Disks + Manuals RARE
$99.90