Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Won't Boot

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1
    Hi

    I have the same problem as above:
    boot screen -> loading vmzlinux.... -> loading miniroot.gz....
    and then the system hangs with no cd activity !

    On the same pc I can boot successfully LindowsCD and Debian Woody 3.0
    The Knoppix cd works fine on other machines..

    The machine is a very new and powerful LCD PC, assembled by Enface (half way between desktop and laptop)

    Any Idea on howto solve the problem or understanding what is going on ? (there are no error messages ...???)

    Thanks
    massimo

    PS: The company i work for just bought 4 of these machine and i'd like to let users try and maybe love linux....(and i hear knoppix is a good choice for desktop users...)

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by windos_no_thanks
    Are we talking about machines made by Clevo ?
    (they are sold under many different brands but the sticker on
    the bottom of the machine usually reveals the "real" maker)
    Yep, clevo laptop (www.clevo.com.tw) are resold by a load of uk companies.
    Pico
    AJP
    Rock
    MESH

    The one i'm having a problem with is the D470W (http://www.clevo.com.tw/products/D470W.asp)

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    In another thread someone described similar symptoms and claimed
    that it works with Mandrake 8.1 with kernel 2.4.8 (which is very old)
    I happened to have a set of Mandrake 8.0 disks and that also seems
    to work, at least the installer gets started.
    I guess we will have to try a 2.4.8 kernel without any Mandrake patches
    next....

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Hmm, CoolLinux 1.34a also works, with kernel 2.4.18 + some RedHat patches.
    (CoolLinux is a RedHat based live CD a bit like Knoppix but it's not quite
    as cool no on-the-fly decompression and less efficient hardware autodetection)

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    29
    have you tried knoppix vsync=60 on boot? I think the default resolution is too high for some screens

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Still no luck with knoppix but I did get the latest slackware (9.1 with kernel 2.4.22)
    installed and it boots form the hard drive if I give "nohotplug" as a parameter to
    the kernel at the boot prompt. No sound, PCMCIA , ethernet or ACPI yet
    (and probably several other things I haven't checked)
    but at least the X-server runs nicely.

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Status report:
    Got ACPI, ethernet, PCMCIA and sound working in slackware 9.1
    Recompiling the kernel with the configuration file from knoppix,
    if it locks up the same way after that it shouldn't be impossible
    even for a dork like me to cook up a knoppix kernel that boots... ;-D

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    I think I've found the problem. The default knoppix kernel has support
    for SMP compiled in and that seems to cause my machine to freeze.
    A kernel without the SMP code on the other hand runs just fine.
    I'm going to try to make a new ISO image as soon as I have time for
    it unless someone else does it first
    BTW, the default knoppix kernel also only supports APM, not ACPI.
    Since many laptops are crippled without ACPI support I'll probably
    switch that in too while I'm at it....

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2

    smp + acpi

    that kernel would solve a lot of the compatibility problems on other laptops i'm thinking.

    my own experience with nearly every flavour of linux trying to get my sh1tbag compaq evo n1015v working is similar to the other frustrated posts on the site. i will probably never buy another compaq anything in my life because of it. redhat can be got to work with an initial boot turning nearly everything off and then having to recompile the kernels using third party patches.

    safe to say that on my first attempt with knoppix it failed, then i gave a 'nousb' option because i know the usb controller is spectacularly sh1t. from then on i've been amazed by knoppix-installed debian. first thing i did was play a divx5 video in full sound without any problems at all without having to scr3w around with anything!!!

    knoppix rocks! death to winbloze!

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Almost there now, I get the kernel to start but now
    it gets to "Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at /dev/scd0... "
    where it stops and flashes the caps-lock and scroll-lock leds.
    I guess I did something wrong when generating the ISO
    image. I'll look into it again tomorrow...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel Core i7-10700KF CPU 3.8GHz Socket LGA1200 SRH74 Desktop Processor picture

Intel Core i7-10700KF CPU 3.8GHz Socket LGA1200 SRH74 Desktop Processor

$149.99