Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Problem with Running Programs in 3.3

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3

    Problem with Running Programs in 3.3

    My harddrive broke on me yesterday, so I downloaded Knoppix to use until I got my new harddrive. I believe I downloaded the English 3.3 09-24-03 version. I have been having major problems with loading certain programs. Sometimes it goes and comes, but certain programs I haven't gotten to load yet (particularly Gaim). When I try to open certain programs, the bar will appear in the taskbar and the mouse will have the icon designating its loading, but after a while it will just stop trying. I am at college and I really need use of my computer if only for Mozilla (which I am using now and doesn't seem to have any problems) and Gaim (dead). What could be causing this? Bad download? Bad burn? Bad CD? I've already redownloaded it and am going to try to burn it soon. Any help is greatly appreciate.

    Thanks,
    Steve

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3
    I forgot to mention another thing. Konqeror will not open anything - websites, drive folders, anything. When I try it throws up tons of errors and I usually have to reboot.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Problem with Running Programs in 3.3

    --Depends on how much RAM you have. If 256MB or more, KDE will/should be fine even if running w/o a swapfile/partition. However if you have less than that, I recommend using a different windowmanager (like ' desktop=icewm ', to save on resources.)

    --Try typing ' gaim ' from a terminal window, and see what messages pop up. You can also try booting with ' knoppix testcd ' to see if you got a bad burn.

    --Personally, I find it interesting that you are downloading 700MB w/ a broken HD. Where are you saving it???

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuschedz
    My harddrive broke on me yesterday, so I downloaded Knoppix to use until I got my new harddrive. I believe I downloaded the English 3.3 09-24-03 version. I have been having major problems with loading certain programs. Sometimes it goes and comes, but certain programs I haven't gotten to load yet (particularly Gaim). When I try to open certain programs, the bar will appear in the taskbar and the mouse will have the icon designating its loading, but after a while it will just stop trying. I am at college and I really need use of my computer if only for Mozilla (which I am using now and doesn't seem to have any problems) and Gaim (dead). What could be causing this? Bad download? Bad burn? Bad CD? I've already redownloaded it and am going to try to burn it soon. Any help is greatly appreciate.

    Thanks,
    Steve

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3
    I have 512kB of DDR RAM. I downloaded it and burned it with EZ CD Creator on a roomates computer. Yesterday I redownloaded it on someone elses computer and burned it with Nero and it works perfectly. I'm really loving this.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 06:01 PM
  2. Problem runnin my old programs
    By method in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 11:43 AM
  3. running programs in knoppix
    By computerman0216 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 03:35 AM
  4. Running programs on fluxbox initialization
    By brainlessdumb in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2003, 02:23 PM
  5. Running Programs
    By Mycroft1855 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-16-2003, 11:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD

$799.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00