I may be a little over-zealous here, possibly bordering on crazy, but after playing with Knoppix, using it for some disaster recovery, I got the idea of creating backend servers with it. Currently we are using RH7.3 for samba with replicated LDAP for authentication. I was thinking about condensing all that down to a CD, and have all the writable (ldap) areas be on the USB stick (samba shares would be there own HDD )
This would mean server swaps would be CD/USB swap and power-up.
Is this feasible? I do not need any X environment, CLI if fine, considering I domost things via SSH..
If there is a project ongoing like this, please let me know.
The downfall would be upgrades, wouldmean a rollout of a new CD image, etc...but is there anything else that I may be missing?
I have been browsing the remastering section as well as DSL .. just trying to get a feel for it.
Thanks

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day
$188.24
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99
Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00