-
apt-get not working (timeout error) in Knoppix 3.2
Hi,
I have installed Knoppix 3.2 to hard disk and apart from a few issues, it went fine. As I had heard a lot about Debian's apt-get tool, I was eager to try it out.
However, apt-get does not seem to be able to connect to any of the sources mentioned in the sources.list file.
As I am behind an authenticated proxy, after Googling for some data, I specified the HTTP_PROXY variable as "ht<t>p://myname:mypass@myproxyip:myproxyport" and then ran apt-get update command.
The above command gives a standard working 0% etc output and then gives a timeout error for all the sources mentioned.
I am not very familiar with linux especially Debian... as I have been using rpm based distro's.
I can easily connect to the internet using mozilla and konqueror, but apt-get is the only issue.
Can someone please help me out on this.
The only related issue that I can think of is that DNS was not automatically configured during installation and so I had to change the /etc/resolv.conf and the /etc/networking/interfaces files for DNS to be configured which worked out (thanks to the Google again
).
However now I sometimes get an aptMutex error while running apt-get which I have no idea about.
Apologies about the long rant... its just that I am still getting used to Debian and am eager to try out the new Gnome2.4 for which I need apt-get working.
Any help will be highly appreciated.
Regards,
Quo
-
Senior Member
registered user
Are you using the method described by rickenbacherus in this thread? If you are and still getting errors then could you post the output of the commands so we can see the errors. Also some of the sources from Germany that are in the /etc/apt/sources.list have changed the ones that have ftp.de.debian.org in the line should be changed to ftp2.de.debian.org.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think the key might be that (oddly enough) http_proxy is lower case
see http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4353#20295
-
maybe running apt-setup from the console (root) would help.
there you can configure a proxy and mirrors as well.
Similar Threads
-
By paoloskater in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-02-2005, 02:42 PM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 07-17-2004, 05:25 PM
-
By ericia in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-07-2004, 11:29 PM
-
By rdpetar in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 10:44 PM
-
By abc in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-22-2003, 02:41 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W
$899.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99