Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: where to begin?

  1. #1
    totalnewbie
    Guest

    where to begin?

    Hi

    I'm a total newbie in Linux, and I was wondering where to start. I read some stuff on the forum, but I usually don't get any wiser with it.

    I also wanted to know how to configure knoppix to get on the internet. My desktop has 2 network cards, one is connected to a cable modem, another is for my personal network.

    And yet another question: what do you need to develop php on linux?

    please, if any answers, could you make them as detailed as possible? so i don't have to ask what to do every time.

    thx in advance

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21

    NIC CARDS AND INTERNET

    Hello There,,,
    I would like to say that I am a newbie too...but I'm getting better...

    I not sure how to configure your knoppix to use the cable modem...I would think that it would have configured itself right away..but is it seeing your NIC cards?

    if it is you can go under control center in kde and click on network and then lan browsing and try to use the auto configure ( ResLISa daemon) that might work.. is your DHCP brocast on?

    The easiest thing that I found is to have a router between the modem and computer... then it just kind of picks it up right away....Did you use the shell terminal and type ifconfig eth0 up or ifconfig eth1 up? I hope that this will help you if not you can contact me maybe and tell me more information about your system..!

    I am online most the time... my msn is [email protected] and my icq is 212554643 :P

  3. #3
    totalnewbie
    Guest

    Re: NIC CARDS AND INTERNET

    Quote Originally Posted by johncarlson21
    Hello There,,,
    I would like to say that I am a newbie too...but I'm getting better...

    I not sure how to configure your knoppix to use the cable modem...I would think that it would have configured itself right away..but is it seeing your NIC cards?
    I think so, because in network (via the menu) it sees 2 network cards

    Quote Originally Posted by johncarlson21
    if it is you can go under control center in kde and click on network and then lan browsing and try to use the auto configure ( ResLISa daemon) that might work.. is your DHCP brocast on?
    I have no idea , how do you check that and turn it on if it isn't? (see, total newbie )

    Quote Originally Posted by johncarlson21
    The easiest thing that I found is to have a router between the modem and computer... then it just kind of picks it up right away....Did you use the shell terminal and type ifconfig eth0 up or ifconfig eth1 up? I hope that this will help you if not you can contact me maybe and tell me more information about your system..!
    hmm, thought it'd work like it is now, without router.
    About that shell, how do you get in it? I'll give it a try as soon as I have a little spare time, I'm kinda busy with school for the moment, exams

    Quote Originally Posted by johncarlson21
    I am online most the time... my msn is [email protected] and my icq is 212554643 :P
    I'll add you one of these days if I don't get any wiser
    thx in advance

  4. #4
    totalnewbie
    Guest

    Re: NIC CARDS AND INTERNET

    Quote Originally Posted by johncarlson21
    Hello There,,,
    I would like to say that I am a newbie too...but I'm getting better...

    I not sure how to configure your knoppix to use the cable modem...I would think that it would have configured itself right away..but is it seeing your NIC cards?
    I think so, because in network (via the menu) it sees 2 network cards

    Quote Originally Posted by johncarlson21
    if it is you can go under control center in kde and click on network and then lan browsing and try to use the auto configure ( ResLISa daemon) that might work.. is your DHCP brocast on?
    I have no idea , how do you check that and turn it on if it isn't? (see, total newbie )

    Quote Originally Posted by johncarlson21
    The easiest thing that I found is to have a router between the modem and computer... then it just kind of picks it up right away....Did you use the shell terminal and type ifconfig eth0 up or ifconfig eth1 up? I hope that this will help you if not you can contact me maybe and tell me more information about your system..!
    hmm, thought it'd work like it is now, without router.
    About that shell, how do you get in it? I'll give it a try as soon as I have a little spare time, I'm kinda busy with school for the moment, exams

    Quote Originally Posted by johncarlson21
    I am online most the time... my msn is [email protected] and my icq is 212554643 :P
    I'll add you one of these days if I don't get any wiser
    thx in advance

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    47
    About that shell, how do you get in it?
    Press the [K] on the menu bar where [Start] would be in an inferior OS ( ;> ). Select the KNOPPIX entry, and from the submenu select root shell. You might also want to give the Network Configuration entry from the same submenu a try. Might be easier than ifconfig (at least at first, better to know the cli in the long term though).

Similar Threads

  1. all the files that begin with .
    By pubecon in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 11:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99