-
where to begin?
Hi
I'm a total newbie in Linux, and I was wondering where to start. I read some stuff on the forum, but I usually don't get any wiser with it.
I also wanted to know how to configure knoppix to get on the internet. My desktop has 2 network cards, one is connected to a cable modem, another is for my personal network.
And yet another question: what do you need to develop php on linux?
please, if any answers, could you make them as detailed as possible? so i don't have to ask what to do every time.
thx in advance
-
Junior Member
registered user
NIC CARDS AND INTERNET
Hello There,,,
I would like to say that I am a newbie too...but I'm getting better...
I not sure how to configure your knoppix to use the cable modem...I would think that it would have configured itself right away..but is it seeing your NIC cards?
if it is you can go under control center in kde and click on network and then lan browsing and try to use the auto configure ( ResLISa daemon) that might work.. is your DHCP brocast on?
The easiest thing that I found is to have a router between the modem and computer... then it just kind of picks it up right away....Did you use the shell terminal and type ifconfig eth0 up or ifconfig eth1 up? I hope that this will help you if not you can contact me maybe and tell me more information about your system..!
I am online most the time... my msn is [email protected] and my icq is 212554643 :P
-
Re: NIC CARDS AND INTERNET

Originally Posted by
johncarlson21
Hello There,,,
I would like to say that I am a newbie too...but I'm getting better...
I not sure how to configure your knoppix to use the cable modem...I would think that it would have configured itself right away..but is it seeing your NIC cards?
I think so, because in network (via the menu) it sees 2 network cards

Originally Posted by
johncarlson21
if it is you can go under control center in kde and click on network and then lan browsing and try to use the auto configure ( ResLISa daemon) that might work.. is your DHCP brocast on?
I have no idea
, how do you check that and turn it on if it isn't? (see, total newbie
)

Originally Posted by
johncarlson21
The easiest thing that I found is to have a router between the modem and computer... then it just kind of picks it up right away....Did you use the shell terminal and type ifconfig eth0 up or ifconfig eth1 up? I hope that this will help you if not you can contact me maybe and tell me more information about your system..!
hmm, thought it'd work like it is now, without router.
About that shell, how do you get in it? I'll give it a try as soon as I have a little spare time, I'm kinda busy with school for the moment, exams

Originally Posted by
johncarlson21
I'll add you one of these days if I don't get any wiser
thx in advance
-
Re: NIC CARDS AND INTERNET

Originally Posted by
johncarlson21
Hello There,,,
I would like to say that I am a newbie too...but I'm getting better...
I not sure how to configure your knoppix to use the cable modem...I would think that it would have configured itself right away..but is it seeing your NIC cards?
I think so, because in network (via the menu) it sees 2 network cards

Originally Posted by
johncarlson21
if it is you can go under control center in kde and click on network and then lan browsing and try to use the auto configure ( ResLISa daemon) that might work.. is your DHCP brocast on?
I have no idea
, how do you check that and turn it on if it isn't? (see, total newbie
)

Originally Posted by
johncarlson21
The easiest thing that I found is to have a router between the modem and computer... then it just kind of picks it up right away....Did you use the shell terminal and type ifconfig eth0 up or ifconfig eth1 up? I hope that this will help you if not you can contact me maybe and tell me more information about your system..!
hmm, thought it'd work like it is now, without router.
About that shell, how do you get in it? I'll give it a try as soon as I have a little spare time, I'm kinda busy with school for the moment, exams

Originally Posted by
johncarlson21
I'll add you one of these days if I don't get any wiser
thx in advance
-
About that shell, how do you get in it?
Press the [K] on the menu bar where [Start] would be in an inferior OS ( ;> ). Select the KNOPPIX entry, and from the submenu select root shell. You might also want to give the Network Configuration entry from the same submenu a try. Might be easier than ifconfig (at least at first, better to know the cli in the long term though).
Similar Threads
-
By pubecon in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-20-2003, 11:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$184.99

acer swift air 14
$600.00

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core 16-Thread 4.6GHz Max Boost, 3.8 GHz Base
$170.00

Intel Xeon E-2388G 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU Processor LGA 1151 SRKMZ
$799.99

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00