Knoppix is much faster than MDK on my K7 550 256M. There is no comparison, plus with Knoppix you don't have to put up with that ridiculous rpm nonsense. Just give apt a try and you'll swear off those nasty rpm's in a hurry.![]()
Hi,
I use Redhat 9 and Mandrake 9.0 on AMD K-6 300 MHz system w/ 128 MB ram and a slow HD. Redhat w/ KDE runs fairly quickly most of the time, but programs load quite slowly and it thrashes the HD in doing so. I know Debian is supposed to be faster- can anyone give their experience with the speed of Knoppix when installed on the hardrive? Thanks!!
Knoppix is much faster than MDK on my K7 550 256M. There is no comparison, plus with Knoppix you don't have to put up with that ridiculous rpm nonsense. Just give apt a try and you'll swear off those nasty rpm's in a hurry.![]()
128 mb isn't alot... i have 256 and im going to upgrade cuz its always full![]()
Thanks! Sounds good. I know 128 MB isn't much, but like I said, any improvement over my current OS's is, well, an improvement. If there's a noticeable speed-up, then it's worth the effort I think. Where's the best place to buy a very cheap Knoppix CD? There's no way I'm going to download it at 14.4 kbps!And are there any branches that include XFCE4 and KDE? Thanks again!
the standard knoppix can be bought on several places, check the homepage www.knoppix.net (under 'get knoppix') that might do. and standard, knoppix includes KDE, but afaik not xfce (correct me, someone, if im wrong?).
and for speed, you might try gentoo - compiled for your computer so the speed is at max. And really, kde needz more than 128 ram, u better use a lighter WM (like, indeed, xfce). And well I guess an cable or (a)dsl internet connection is highly recommended for linux there is so much to download (games, updates, other software) its hard to resist
if u dont have a broadbandconn you have to update debian by istalling knoppix from a new cd again, and the best thing about debian is you can fully upgrade using INTERNET by just 2 commands....
I don't mind waiting for a 500 - 1200 KB download to finish (and there are quite a few cool programs at that size) so I manage w/o broadband. This is probably a bit off topic, but how current are the debs that apt installs? What about availability of little-known programs that don't get much attention, which I often try? And what if I want to use an RPM? I have quite a few of them on CD's which I've downloaded elsewhere. Can I just install the RPM system on debian, and then use rpm -i <package> if I want to? Thanks for the help.
FWIW, I find Knoppix faster than SuSE 8.1. But I think 128Mb is cutting it a bit fine. I'd go for 256: it'll cost you less than £20 and will make a huge difference.
Depends where you point your sources list at: point it at unstable and they'll be as close to the bleeding edge as you'd like to get! There are probably at least as many debs out there as there are rpms.how current are the debs that apt installs?
rpm is included in Knoppix. I've never used it........
after installation all distributions are the same thing, all they are Linux, the same Linux.Originally Posted by sb73542
The unique difference between distributions are packaging method, *.rpm *.deb etc etc etc
to increase the speed of booting linux, you might use this info:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...ry/l-boot.html
but its rather complex...
btw indeed i think most distro's are quite the same, once installed - but some need re-installation every new version comes out, and debian can stay forever up-to-date. and some are faster compiled (more optimized) than others, in this aspect debian isn't the best.
If you have time to invest in an installation of linux, you might try gentoo - portage, its package manager is as good as apt-get, but all software is compiled on your pc - and optimized for your pc, to maximize the speed.
and if you use the unstable branch of debian, the packages it installs are very up-to-date, sometimes just a few hours old... testing is at least 10 days behind, and stable can be up to three years old!
I remember reading some where that gentoo is no longer a source compilation distribution anymore but more like debian now.Originally Posted by Superstoned

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$144.98
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 32GB No GPU/ HDD/ OS DISCOUNTED
$363.94
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00