-
Eeek! Windows XP Home refuses to boot...
While resizing my main (only) partition to make room for a new FAT32 partition for Knoppix, the program I used errored out and reboot itself. As the boot screen was loading (right before the welcome screen), it restart itself without error or notification, and it has been doing that for a while now. The data on the drive is still there and running (I can see all the files in Knoppix), but Windows still refuses to boot up. Without a FAT32 partition, using Knoppix becomes annoying since of course I can't save anything. The big problem that I have is that my computer didn't come with a Windows XP disc, and I don't know where I could get one (I do have another computer with Windows XP Home on it, so if there is somewhere to download it, please tell me), so anything that requires the XP disc is worthless to me.
I am using Windows XP Home SP 1.
-
Senior Member
registered user
you have ruined the boot loader(either it is being moved during the resize process or other problems). You can only reinstall XP.
This is why I don't recommend people to resize the partition(and why i have gone to the length of porting GRUB to handle FAT/NTFS).
-
You might start Win2k on your 'linux-pc' by using a startdiskette. You can make such a diskette on your second PC.
Sometimes the start diskette won't work. Check it by starting your second PC with it.
If it doesn't work, then there are some files missing; you may copy the missing files manually from the C:\ map. It must contain (check in explorer with hidden files shown):
autoexec.nt
boot.ini
config.nt
ntdetect.com
ntldr
setup.log
There's a good change that you can start Win2k on your 'linux-pc' with it.
Then there is a change that Win2k sees the problem (with the boot loader or the MBR) while starting and fixes it.
Or you might force it by a check disk. Win2k needs to restart for that, so keep your start diskette in the PC.
No guarantee but without a Win2k CD you cannot even reinstall (as other member suggested
)
(Starting from a Win2k CD you have the possibility to fix the former installation.)
-
1. I would load Knoppix and copy the data you want off of the windows partition and make a cd or floppies of those files.
2. I would re-install windows XP on the windows partition.
3. I would install a 3rd party boot loader like Boot magic or Partition commander. Set the Linux partition as active and reboot.
4. run the installation of Knoppix and when asked about installing the boot loader select to have it install in the root partition and NOT the MBR.
5. Reboot and you should now have a dual boot system.
6. Put your salvaged windows files back where they belong.
Similar Threads
-
By jma2 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-12-2005, 11:36 AM
-
By wolfgangbeyer in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-06-2005, 12:53 AM
-
By Garibaldi in forum General Support
Replies: 24
Last Post: 09-12-2004, 06:23 PM
-
By TheLousyOne in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-24-2004, 04:19 AM
-
By MeSo in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-17-2004, 02:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00

Intel SRF90 Xeon Gold 6248 2.50GHz 20 Core LGA 3647 Server CPU Processor
$55.99