Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: I am new in linux I need hdd install help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1

    I am new in linux I need hdd install help

    I installed Knopix 3.1 on HDD. I used "sudo knx-hdinstall" command. I set Linux partitition on hdb6 (3.3GB) and swap on hdb7(918MB). On hdb1 i have Win98, on hdb5 WinXP. When I set boot from hdb6 it want start. I am new in linux so i need help. Do I have to install LILO, because when i installed it my boot looked like this L01 01 01 01 01 01 01.... Then i boot up from floppy and when i wanted to log in as root it says Failure, when i want to login as Knoppix it says Failure. What should i do, please help me because I like Knoppix and i would like to install it to hdd.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Lilo has probably put inself on the mbr.

    If you're using a boot floppy you need to tweak the bios to boot from floppy first, if you're using Lilo, to boot from hard drive. Once you get Lilo up and running, you can tweak it to boot your windows systems, too.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    What is hda? I haven't dual booted with multiple drives, but I think it may be a problem with being on IDE secondary position. Is BIOS set up to boot from the slave drive first? Another option to try is switching the linux drive to IDE primary and whatever hda is to IDE slave. LILO can then handle booting everything. Also, if you change lilo.conf, make sure to run the command "lilo" afterwards. Otherwise your changes won't be registered.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Agreed. Looking at the post again, it looks like there's something (but what?) in the primary master position. This is pretty wierd.........

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    24
    Not an exact answer, but a place to start:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174

    This post is how I installed Knoppix to get it to cooperate with WinXP on hda, another windows formatted drive on hdb, and my Knoppix install on hdd.

    Works great!

Similar Threads

  1. how to hd install 4 versions of linux
    By ramaswamyps in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 01:42 AM
  2. How to install Linux
    By Mic Q in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 12:24 AM
  3. How to install: LINUX first, WINDOWS NT after
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:31 PM
  4. hd install on existing linux box
    By bactram in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2003, 04:47 PM
  5. hdd install to replace linux fs
    By todsr1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2003, 08:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$125.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$298.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



SonicWall TZ470 Network Security/Firewall Appliance (02-ssc-2829) (02ssc2829) picture

SonicWall TZ470 Network Security/Firewall Appliance (02-ssc-2829) (02ssc2829)

$100.00



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$219.99



Sophos SG 115 rev.3 Firewall Security Appliance SG1153BAEUS + OPNsense picture

Sophos SG 115 rev.3 Firewall Security Appliance SG1153BAEUS + OPNsense

$85.00



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99