-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: This IBM site ROCKS

Originally Posted by
gowator
This was posted a while back on the Mandrakeusers forum.
You could loose a whole day on that site, its got so much info....
Really cool site !!!
p.s Superstoned.... have I seen you there????
or are you exclusive to the .nl group

I'm exclusive 
of course 
But if I need more info, I browse the international mandrake users fora...
And I'm considdering a turn-back to debian... not sure, though.
I'm convinced their package management is better, although urpmi is very good indeed. And I esp miss the 'testing' branche - its like Mandrake only has stable (now 9.2) and unstable (cooker). The tools for Mandrake, and its standard-configuration are better than debian, but using Knoppix, debian is put on your system quite well configured, too. And it is easier to keep up-to-date than mandrake -> unless you use the cooker, (which is very unstable) you have to download & re-install (well, update) a new mandrake-release to upgrade the system with mandy.
And debian has more packages available.
And a .deb always works, while a .rpm can be made for mandrake 8.2 (so it might not work properly) or for suse or for alt-linux or for fedora etc etc - and its very 'random' - sometimes they work, sometimes not.
And I dislike some of mandrake's alterations of the standard KDE installation - well, the mandrakemenu messes things up for me, and you HAVE to use it - unless you want to lose alot programs, which only install in the mandrake-menu and not in the standard KDE menu... adding manually can be a pain.
But Mandrake is more easy on other points, especially but not limited to the installation and configuration.
Damn, if ARK-linux was debian-based, I'd know what to choose...
Similar Threads
-
By ijuz in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-07-2005, 05:02 AM
-
By alex52 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-27-2004, 12:41 AM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 46
Last Post: 09-21-2004, 12:29 PM
-
By rigurat in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-07-2004, 10:30 AM
-
By Megagun in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99