-
Boot from a Usb cd-rom
Hallo.
My laptop is bootable from a cd-rom, but when start to boot with Knoppix the process go to stop because "can't find filesystem, sorry".
The cd-rom go from Usb port.
Is there a system to start Knoppix? (Ther'is not a floppy disk in my laptop)
Thank
-
Senior Member
registered user
Your bios should contain a extra option in the boot section :
-usb
or
enable 'search for other devices'
Important is to enable the usb legacy option in your bios.
Sometimes the usb boot options only appear when this one above is enabled and you have rebooted the pc.
Plz reply wheter it works or not.. this one interests me
greetzzzz,
-
Nothing to do!
I can't boot Knoppix
-
Senior Member
registered user
you have to go the poorman's install route or you need to make your own miniroot.gz which include the necessary usb drivers(as well as CD-ROM driver) and some changes to the linuxrc.
The problem is that even your bios may be able to see the usb CD-ROM and boot from it but it mostly can only see the 'boot image'(the 1.44M one), once you boot into linux, linux still doesn't see the rest. I believe the same is true even for desktop IDE CDROM. If one do not have the IDE driver compiled in the kernel, the same thing would happen, i.e. can boot but don't see the rest.
-
Senior Member
registered user
damn...hell and crap,
I should be starting to make a customised knoppix iso for usb-cd boot then ?
pou-hee... I ain't got time for that..
sorry maxfas...you're gotta be prepared to become a self-made men for this one..
greetzzz anyway,
PS I'll put this usb bootcd as suggestion on the web. It is nevertheless a very usefull idea.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Dear Sirs,
I am wondering how can make my own miniroot.gz because I want to include usb drivers in order to make my external usb hard disk drive bootable. My bios doen't support booting from usb so I need a modified version of knoppix boot disk.
Of course I must make some changes to the linuxrc too in order to give sda1 to my external usb hard disk.
Any step by step guide ???
Best Regards
Mike Kranidis.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
mikekgr
Dear Sirs,
I am wondering how can make my own miniroot.gz because I want to include usb drivers in order to make my external usb hard disk drive bootable. My bios doen't support booting from usb so I need a modified version of knoppix boot disk.
Of course I must make some changes to the linuxrc too in order to give sda1 to my external usb hard disk.
Any step by step guide ???
Best Regards
Mike Kranidis.
Follow this link, the poster has done it so he may have ready to use boot image available.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5257
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 400/800 Computer CPU PCB Module Board with NTSC GTIA - Works Perfectly
$42.95

Atari 800 Computer CX801 10K ROM Personality Module CX801 - Works Perfectly
$23.95

Atari Home Computer Software/Books/Manuals/Magazines Lot - Read desc for details
$95.00

Atari 1040ST Personal Computer Desktop Vintage 1040ST SideCartridge Mouse VGA
$650.00

Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord
$23.99

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS
$16.95

Atari 800 Vintage Home Computer Console System with Keyboard
$99.99

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29