-
Strange X Font problems. Please help!
Hi!
I've recently tried to install and set up Debian Linux. At first I tried Woody but I soon realized that it was very difficult to configure without having a working network connection (nforce2 board...). So I installed the newest Knoppix distribution (3.3) to my harddisk.
I guess I almost got the onboard nic drivers to work, but when I tried to start netcardconfig, I got strange error messages about having wrong fonts and so I can't set up my netcard.
These messages also occur when trying to start emacs (X version) or other programs that communicate with the X server.
I'll put out the messages at the end of this post along with my XF86Config-4 file, as I already googled to solve this problem and found some "solutions" that invoked changing the XF86Config-4 file.
I really hope somebody can help me, as I'm a Linux noob, but am pretty impressed by this OS (especially the debian distros).
Thanks in advance,
Timo
P.S.: Please excuse my english, as I only had it in school and never got to train it in reality.
/usr/bin/emacs error output:
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct
xfontsel error output:
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Segmentation fault
/usr/sbin/netcardconfig error output:
The font "-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1,
-*-arial-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1,
-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-15,
-*-arial-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-15,*-r-*" does not support all the required character sets
for the current locale "de_DE@euro"
/etc/X11/XF86Config file:
Section "Files"
# FontPath "unix/:7100" # local font server
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
# FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection
Section "Module"
Load "GLcore"
Load "bitmap"
Load "dbe"
Load "ddc"
Load "dri"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "int10"
Load "record"
Load "speedo"
Load "type1"
Load "vbe"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "GeForce4 Ti-4200"
Driver "nv"
BusID "PCI:3:0:0"
VideoRam 65536
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Macom S82"
HorizSync 30-60
VertRefresh 50-75
Option "DPMS"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "GeForce4 Ti-4200"
Monitor "Macom S82"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
EndSection
Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection
Similar Threads
-
By bhasker varma in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-16-2005, 08:51 PM
-
By redss in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-11-2004, 05:23 AM
-
By Doppelbock in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-19-2004, 01:21 AM
-
By Hans in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-15-2003, 09:02 PM
-
By merlin in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-17-2003, 03:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray
$356.80

Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14are05 14" Ryzen 7 4700U 2.0GHz 8GB RAM 256GB
$175.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...
$349.99

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50