Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Bootdisk with ntfs & cloop

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3

    Bootdisk with ntfs & cloop

    Hi,

    Is there somewhere bootdisk for ntfs poorman installation booting?
    I already try with http://www.skyjammer.com/files/knoppix, but it
    did not work with XP ntfs.
    -juha

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    Re: Bootdisk with ntfs & cloop

    Quote Originally Posted by juni
    Hi,

    Is there somewhere bootdisk for ntfs poorman installation booting?
    I already try with http://www.skyjammer.com/files/knoppix, but it
    did not work with XP ntfs.
    -juha
    since I am the one who made the exe, I am curious to know what did not work.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3
    The w32grub works well and I can start kernel, but the minintfs.gz do not include ntfs module. I tryed add module and I can mount ntfs partition, but it do not found the knoppix file. It found knoppix form fat32 partition or cdrom.

    Then I took kernel and initrd from standard bootfloppy and add
    the ntfs module in the initrd. I was droped to minimal shell.
    And in shell I did something like that:
    insmod -f /modules/ntfs.o
    mount /dev/hda1 /cdrom -t ntfs -o ro
    insmod cloop file=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
    Last one fails. It was some cloop internal error.

    If there are a kernel with static ntfs support and it works with basic initrd,
    I would like have it.

    -Juha

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    With the current KNOPPIX, it is close to impossible. KNOPPIX comes with the 2.4 kernel ntfs driver which has problem with cloop(I haven't tested the latest Sept one) which is what you see. I almost have it working(but I don't know why it is so). What I have tested is to instead of putting the big KNOPPIX on NTFS, I put the whole ISO image on NTFS and changed the linuxrc to do something like this :

    mount /dev/hda1 /host
    mount /host/knoppix.iso /knoppix_iso -o loop
    insmod cloop.o file=/knoppix_iso/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    With this modification, I can get to the command prompt(everything was loading fine including the hardware detection etc.) but stuck when I startx. So there is still something wrong in the file system. Klaus has changed the cloop driver coding lately which may make the above work.

    An alternative which I run before is to build my own kernel with the ntfs 2.x driver. If you download the sample miniroot.gz from the above site(which is mine too), you may notice that I have changed the linuxrc to load(and mount) my own kernel tree.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1
    Is there any update on this topic?
    I'd also like to place the compressed image on NTFS.

    What about the NTFS 2 driver. Are there any plans to include it in knoppix (and it's boot.img)?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 12:12 AM
  2. Boot from usb using bootdisk/sbm?
    By victorhooi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 06:20 PM
  3. how do you make a bootdisk?
    By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 04:33 AM
  4. Bootdisk instead of Boot ROM?
    By Nils_ in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 10:16 PM
  5. making a bootdisk
    By marcelwalus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 09:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99