Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Going where no man ever gone before??

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    35

    Going where no man ever gone before??

    greetings fellow Knoppix customizers.

    I am starting this thread as I am starting a very ambitious project (well, for me) - to script and automate the process of re-packing an HD installed Knoppix to a live cd, and maybe even extend it to support making a live-cd out of any Debian system.
    hopefully, this would put an end to all of those "how to remaster from an HD-installed Knoppix?" threads.

    also, I'd like to use this thread to solve problems I may encounter, and maybe, when I'ts done, recieve feature-requests and such.
    (LOL, so much for talking, but it's mostly in my head as of now)

    wish me luck, and now - for the first question -
    how do I generate a user with an empty password, like root & knoppix have?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    I am embarking on this project too. I am going to be building live CDs on a regular basis, each with an encrypted filesystem that contains different information. The automated proscess will help in the creation of these CDs.

    How were you planning on writing this script? I would prefer that we Do NOT use perl. I think that bash shell is fine.

    To answer your question about the password, you want to edit the /etc/shaddow file and remove encrypted password (you just blank that part out).

    for example:

    root:$1$ve.2WRaU$F8FZqVNwcgQftsnWCG5Ig0:12202:0:99 999:7:::
    change it to
    root::12202:0:99999:7:::

    Lets get this project going.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    35
    10x.
    I love bash scripting, and don't really know perl, so it'll prolly be a bash-only project

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    I'd recommed python for the job ..

    I've already created similiar scripts for python and I can only advise against because the whole thing isn't easy to maintain.

    I've rewritten scripts in python and I can now automaticly create remasters by just enabling options in config file.

    anyway.. I recommend python since it more flexible than bash

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM picture

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM

$37.99



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$164.95



16GB of Samsung (8GB x 2) DDR5 M378A2K43CB1 UDIMM PC5-4800B 288-Pin Unbuffered picture

16GB of Samsung (8GB x 2) DDR5 M378A2K43CB1 UDIMM PC5-4800B 288-Pin Unbuffered

$185.99



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3600MHz CMW16GX4M2D3600C18 picture

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3600MHz CMW16GX4M2D3600C18

$99.70



Samsung 32GB Kit 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 Laptop RAM SO-DIMM M471A2K43EB1-C picture

Samsung 32GB Kit 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 Laptop RAM SO-DIMM M471A2K43EB1-C

$124.99



[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] 8GB DDR3 LAPTOP RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX, etc. picture

[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] 8GB DDR3 LAPTOP RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX, etc.

$89.99



Kingston KF432S20IBK2/32 FURY Impact 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MT/s CL20 Laptop Memory picture

Kingston KF432S20IBK2/32 FURY Impact 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MT/s CL20 Laptop Memory

$150.00



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99