-
X server crash: "Fatal server error: Active ring not fl
Hi,
I've been happily using Knoppix 3.2 (hd install) for the past couple of months (after a number of years running SuSE and Red Hat). In the last week I've had problems with the X Server crashing, although I have made no changes to my configuration nor have I installed any new packages.
Typically what happens is that, in KDE, I switch to Konqueror (connected to google) and start to enter some text in the search field. Then the screen hangs and moments later is replaced by garbage. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, Ctrl+alt+f1 do not have any effect. However, the keyboard does respond to a ctrl+alt+del which reboots the machine.
It has also happened while starting to type an email address into Kmail - one letter and it hangs.
The XFree86 log shows the following:
(II) I810(0): Adding 768 scanlines for pixmap caching
(II) I810(0): Allocated Scratch Memory
(II) I810(0): [dri] Buffer map : 57d000
(II) I810(0): [drm] added 256 4096 byte DMA buffers
(II) I810(0): [drm] dma control initialized, using IRQ 9
(II) I810(0): [dri] visual configs initialized.
(==) I810(0): Write-combining range (0xf8000000,0x4000000)
(II) I810(0): vgaHWGetIOBase: hwp->IOBase is 0x03d0, hwp->PIOOffset is 0x0000
pgetbl_ctl: 0x179a0001 pgetbl_err: 0x0
ipeir: 0 iphdr: 50c00004
LP ring tail: 79f0 head: 7870 len: f001 start 300000
eir: 0 esr: 0 emr: 3d
instdone: ff3a instpm: 0
memmode: 4 instps: 810
hwstam: 9ac7 ier: 0 imr: 9ac7 iir: 0
I understand that this type of error is usually encountered with multiple x servers; I am only running one.
I've spent the morning trawling the web looking for a solution. One suggestion is to comment out the 'Load "dri"' line in XF86Config.
Has anyone else encountered and solved this problem?
Thanks in advance,
Cormac.
-
"Fatal server error: Active ring not flushed"
Hi,
I left out the end of the XFree log, which is the crucial bit, sorry!
Fatal server error:
Active ring not flushed
Regards,
Cormac.
Similar Threads
-
By Freksen in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-24-2004, 06:49 PM
-
By oded in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-23-2004, 03:40 PM
-
By LeManu in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-20-2004, 10:19 PM
-
By seadawg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-20-2003, 05:58 PM
-
By iss in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 06-16-2003, 02:18 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold
$121.00

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3
$200.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

64 (32x2 GB) Memory for laptop Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.
$260.00

64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.
$280.00