Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12

Thread: Security

  1. #11

    Knoppix 6.2.1 hd install

    The problems I originally encountered with knoppix slow boot were caused by using a high write speed when moving the .iso to CD. Try halfing your write speed. After this the hd install went smooth. I am using and upgrading the install without problems. I am already utilizing Knoppix to the same extent I was utilizing XP. The apt-get update, and upgrade went smoothly as well, except Open Office upgrade. I love Knoppix with the swap space on reiserfs. I loaded a distro to and extended (ext) and it was like a turtle stuck in mud. As a newbie, i would discount the advise to not use the hd install of Knoppix (for other newbies). Learn command line, relax and work out your bugs.

  2. #12
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Halving the speed may not be enough. I suggest 4x and absolutely never use more than 8x for CDs and 4x for DVDs. Higher speed burns always have problems, but the problems are usually hidden by the error correction code. From what I've seen I don't think Linux has error correction enabled during boot, thus you need a good clean error-free burn. And personally I want that error correction code to be able to help other discs over time recover from scratches and disc rot, so I always use low speed burns. At first I didn't want to believe this, but I learned the hard way when I couldn't recover stuff that I had burn "successfully" and verified at high speed years ago, now all of my burns are at low speed. It is well worth the few extra minutes to get a burn that will boot properly, or one that has a much better chance of surviving over time.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Hdd Security
    By NetKatz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 02:38 PM
  2. security
    By RNK in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 12:37 PM
  3. Security
    By pierrevn in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-12-2003, 07:34 AM
  4. Security and apt-get
    By Edix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 08:20 PM
  5. security
    By kipizit in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 03:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Remote Desktop User & Device RDS CALs for Windows Server 2025, 2022 & 2019 picture

Remote Desktop User & Device RDS CALs for Windows Server 2025, 2022 & 2019

$174.99