Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12

Thread: Security

  1. #11

    Knoppix 6.2.1 hd install

    The problems I originally encountered with knoppix slow boot were caused by using a high write speed when moving the .iso to CD. Try halfing your write speed. After this the hd install went smooth. I am using and upgrading the install without problems. I am already utilizing Knoppix to the same extent I was utilizing XP. The apt-get update, and upgrade went smoothly as well, except Open Office upgrade. I love Knoppix with the swap space on reiserfs. I loaded a distro to and extended (ext) and it was like a turtle stuck in mud. As a newbie, i would discount the advise to not use the hd install of Knoppix (for other newbies). Learn command line, relax and work out your bugs.

  2. #12
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Halving the speed may not be enough. I suggest 4x and absolutely never use more than 8x for CDs and 4x for DVDs. Higher speed burns always have problems, but the problems are usually hidden by the error correction code. From what I've seen I don't think Linux has error correction enabled during boot, thus you need a good clean error-free burn. And personally I want that error correction code to be able to help other discs over time recover from scratches and disc rot, so I always use low speed burns. At first I didn't want to believe this, but I learned the hard way when I couldn't recover stuff that I had burn "successfully" and verified at high speed years ago, now all of my burns are at low speed. It is well worth the few extra minutes to get a burn that will boot properly, or one that has a much better chance of surviving over time.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Hdd Security
    By NetKatz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 02:38 PM
  2. security
    By RNK in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 12:37 PM
  3. Security
    By pierrevn in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-12-2003, 07:34 AM
  4. Security and apt-get
    By Edix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 08:20 PM
  5. security
    By kipizit in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 03:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99