Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Knoppix won't work on area-51m.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    11

    Knoppix won't work on area-51m.

    Hi all, i am running knoppix on 2 of my desktops and an old sony laptop, and i am attempting to install it on my new alienware area-51m. The specs of the laptop are:
    radeon mobility 9000 128mb
    p4 2.8ghz
    80gb hd
    uxga lcd

    My problem is i insert the cd, the knoppix logo comes up and when i hit enter to boot the screen goes blank and there is no further activity. I can leave it there for hours and nothing happens. If anyone knows of a solution any help would be greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Have you tried any cheat codes. A couple I would suggest at the boot: prompt knoppix noddc xmodule=radeon

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    11
    Thank you for the reply Stephen, i just tried what you suggested and it still just goes to a blank screen after it loads that module .

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Maybe add xmodule=ati or nofb xmodule=ati

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    11
    Thank you for the reply rickenbacherus, i just tried both of those and neither work, it just loads them up and goes to a blank, black screen and i have to do a hard reset .

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21
    That is quite wierd that it just goes blank but I have a SAGER 5650 that is a little older because I run a 2.2Ghz P4 mobile processor (which is the same thing as a Alienware area-51m: but cheaper the only difference is that I have the ATI Radeon Mobility 7500)...

    I think that the problem has to do with the video obviously so did you try to use the expert cheat instead of the auto config..????

    That would allow you to choose some different options on loading...

    Also maybe the disc is bad now... maybe you have to burn another one and try that...

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2
    I'm having the same problem with my ati radeon 9000 on a dell 5150. I don't know that it is the video card. But, I do have the same symptoms. I got a little furthur when I typed failsafe at the prompt.

    THis is discussed the the Dell Inspiron 5150 thread. THere is no resolution there yet.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3
    I have a Sager 5670
    3.06GHz with ht
    1GB Ram
    ATI Radeon 9000 128MB
    uxga lcd
    (Both Sager and Alienware buy from Clevo so these are the same laptop)

    Using KNOPPIX V3.3-2003-09-22

    I had exactly the same problem, but I just found a solution. My processor can use hyperthreading, but I had disabled it in the BIOS. If I enable it, Knoppix boots up easily.

    LNMEgo's suggestion of looking at the 5150 thread clued me into this solution. Thanks.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5262

    So if you have a newer processor and have HT disabled, try enabling HT in the BIOS to get Knoppix to work.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3
    Note that Windows XP needs to be reinstalled if you enable or disable HyperThreading.

Similar Threads

  1. apt-get / dpkg error: unable to access dpkg status area
    By Nitromethane1261 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 12:09 AM
  2. hda: host protected area after Knoppix-3.3 ????
    By alex52 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 04:47 AM
  3. RELEASE: Local Area Security 0.4 MAIN (stable)
    By cookiepuss in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 12:17 AM
  4. Local Area Security 0.4b RELEASE
    By cookiepuss in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2003, 09:23 PM
  5. Local Area Security Knoppix 0.3b
    By cookiepuss in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 04:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00