Running Knoppix from a boot USB stick:
My preference is not the default start mode (X) but at the plainest possible bash console.
By editing syslinux.cfg appropriately I've been able to manage this since about v.3!
For the moment in this version (v.9.1) this trick eludes me - I'll try again later.
So, I'm trying another pathway that has worked in the past.
In the root terminal in X (i.e. as root) type
$ init 1 <Enter>
and Hey Presto I am out of X, but still logged in as root, and at the plain bash console.
BUT: now the "init 1" request results in this message:
init: must be run as PID 1
and I am still in X.
So: please can anybody
(a) supply a tweaked syslinux.cfg that starts KNOPPIX in ultra-basic mode?
or (b) supply a workaround that will permit init 1 if started in X mode?
or (ideally) both??
Thank you.

Dell PowerEdge R750 2x Xeon Gold 6326 96GB 12x1.92TB SSD H755 Win 2022
$4999.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU
$315.00
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99