I like to use the cheatcode tohd to put the knoppix dvd onto the hard drive. However, I didn't use mkimage when I ran it initially. (I don't know if that would make a difference)
For some reason, using the cheatcode "mkimage" later was ignored.
My boot command line was something like this:
knoppix64 tohd=/dev/sda1
and it dutifully created the KNOPPIX directory on /dev/sda1 but I didn't get a persistent storage file.
One thing that's interesting is that when knoppix boots it automagically scans the drives and finds that KNOPPIX directory even if I don't specify the cheatcode "fromhd=/dev/sda1".
So if you want to create that knoppix-data.img by hand just launch a terminal after booting into your KNOPPIX and
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img bs=1024K count=4000
This will make a 4000MB persistent file (you can make larger if you like) The hard drive that I'm using is formatted FAT32 so my limit is 4GB. Using other formats will have no such restriction.
(And as always, exercise care with dd since you can easily clobber your drives if you enter the wrong parameters. They don't call it disk destroyer for nothing. I've done it once or twice by entering parameters without thinking.)
Then you need to format it
mkfs.ext2 /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img
(You may need to use a -F parameter to "force" it to use a regular file, since it normally expects block devices)
(For some reason I thought it had to be reiserfs, but ext2 seems to work. I kept formatting it as reiser and it wouldn't use it)
Also, if you don't like the messages about KNOPPIX-DATA when you boot, there's a file called "knoppix-data.inf" that you can rename. It will mount a persistent PARTITION, and since we're using a persistent FILE, we don't really need it. The error messages don't hurt anything, but if you rename that file, you won't see them anymore. You can always rename it back to the original name.
mv /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.inf /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/was-knoppix-data.inf

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo Yoga 11e Gen 5 2-in-1 Touchscreen 11" HD Laptop 4GB 128GB SSD Windows 11
$99.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99
Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99