Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: knoppix 5.1.1 live cd stops (can't find knoppix file system)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    32

    knoppix 5.1.1 live cd stops (can't find knoppix file system)

    I posted in laptops, but I'm getting no bites and hopefully someone here has some technical knowledge and can provide some help.

    I'm trying to load Knoppix 5.1.1 live CD on a laptop (Toshiba S11). It works on the older S10 I have. I've tried lots options to no avail.
    So I popped in Knoppix 6.2.1 live CD and it booted up, it found knoppix 6 on /dev/sr0. So I went back to 5.1.1 just after searching for firewire/usb devices it starts to look for knoppix in sda1 and a bunch of others, it moved to fast I couldn't see. Then I get the "Can't find knoppix file system" error and it stops dead at a #knoppix prompt.

    If I type exit, it displays some more possible useful information "unable to mount file system." So I think it might have something to do with the controller? I've heard some SATA controllers weren't supported with older linux kernels? The kernel in knoppix 5.1.1 is version 2.6.19 if that helps. Maybe I should remaster a knoppix 5.1.1 with the same kernel in 6.2.1 and see if that works? I'm not sure, that's out of my expertise right now. The simplest way is hopefully able to find a combination setting so that it will be able to read the CD.

    I though maybe setting home=/dev/sr0 would work since that's where knoppix 6.2.1 was found. Maybe I need to add something more to make it work or maybe I'm going down some rabbit hole.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Hi Chris2222

    I suggest you run hwinfo or lspci in order to find the vendor id and the product id of your SATA or IDE controller connected to your CDROM. Then you can try to find out if there was any kernel driver for your hardware in Linux 2.6. If there is a driver for a later Linux 2.6 kernel you could consider to remaster Knoppix 5.1.1 with that kernel.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1671.47



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Apple iPad Pro 12.9

Apple iPad Pro 12.9" 5th Gen 128GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Wi-Fi Or Cellular - Good

$489.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99