Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: I need the boot floppy :(

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5

    I need the boot floppy :(

    hi all,

    I tried to install knoppix together with my windows xp on my notebook.
    I did it with sudo knx-hdinstall , everything good until he asks: "make boot-floppy?", I wasn't able to press "yes" because my laptop has a cdrom OR a floppy.

    So if you want to work with the floppy, you got to remove the cdrom and that's also in the other direction

    Later on, after the hdd install was completed, I created a floppy from windows (that's a floppy for cdrom boot)

    Now my question : how can I change this bootdisc to boot from hdd instead of cdrom?

    Can somebody upload his disc or other solutions?

    Info :
    HDA1 (7gb) : NTSF => windows xp
    HDA2(300MB) : LINUX SWAP
    HDA3(2.6GB) : LINUX => knoppix hdd install


    Please help me out of this

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    after knx-hdinstall you dont need the cdrom or the floppy you are talking about. They are useless for booting linux installed in a linux partition.
    If your hd dont let you login into linux or win there is a problem with lilo (linux loader)
    Search about reinstalling lilo.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5
    forgot to mention it, I do it with this guide : http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...t=4174&start=0

    SO lilo isn't installed, win xp is the main O.S and I really do need the floppy disk to enter my knoppix partition

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    17
    I wonder if you can use knx-install or another utility to install lilo after the fact.

    BTW, what do you use to create partitions?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Drago
    BTW, what do you use to create partitions?
    the tool in the beginning of the the knoppix install, it's called CFDISK

    anyway.. I'm going to make the floppy on my main pc , going to make exact the same partitions so the bootdisk must be the same for my laptop.. i'll keep you guys up to date (tomorrow, i'm gonna try it)

    Grtz

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5
    it works now! I used "GRUB" as bootmanager

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    20
    BTW, floppies DO still work for booting modern Linux distros on a HD. There's a little utility called mkbootdisk, don't know if Knoppix has it; Redhat 9 does. The syntax is something like mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 <kernel_image>. It deal with kernels >1.44 MB, works great!

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    From CD:
    dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

    From HD install:
    dd if=boot-en.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Reno, NV, USA
    Posts
    2

    Can you have Knoppix as a choice on the System Commander ?


    Hi,

    Does anyone use V-Comm's Partition Commander 8.0? I need help knowing which Linux distros to choose, as I found out Lindows 4.0 still doesn't work with it. I like what I've seen of Knoppix, and bought the Debian Woody CDs so I'd have more software if I get Knoppix to work with the above partitioning/boot loader I use with my Win98se. I have to keep Win98se because Yahoo/SBCglobal doesn't play nice sometimes, so I have to use their software to diagnoise the problem.

    On another topic, do all Linux users have such good eyes that they don't complain when the font size doesn't get larger even when you tell it to?

    Thanks, ChiJoan

Similar Threads

  1. help making boot floppy to boot cd rom.
    By niceguy167 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 05:06 AM
  2. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  3. Cannot boot up from floppy
    By vincent in forum Laptops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 04:31 AM
  4. boot freezes, floppy boot o.k.?
    By Prieni in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 02:52 PM
  5. Boot knoppix withough Floppy and CD boot
    By Dan_Netwalker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book picture

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book

$37.49



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99