-
NewBie: removing tetex? adding gnome / login / passwords
I would like a couple of answers and help with my knoppix remaster.
First off, tetex takes up 90mb or so and if it's not necessary I'd love to get rid of it. From what I get off the net it's like a word processor or sort. Can it be safely removed? if I need to do something else please let me know
I would love to get passwords back and have a login screen (gui)
How can it be done? Can it be done?
I would also love to get gnome 2.2+ to be able to show to people the main guis after installation of a typical linux distro.
I've read the faq here on www.knoppix.net @ http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqInstall
Anything else I need to know about getting gnome working and is there any problems I should know about and what to do about them?
-
TeTeX Removal
I just gave it a try, removing tetex shouldn't cause too much of a problem. It's a text processor -- you create a tex file, run an executable, and output into a different file format. Interestingly enough, kpackage says debconf depends on it; according to synaptic, tetex-base and tetex-bin were just removed without any conflicts.
[Edit...]
While you're at it, you'll probably want to remove lyx ( the tex editor ) and auctex ( tex mode for Emacs ).
-
Junior Member
registered user
I have several remasters here some are Gnome 2.2 others is Gnome 2.4. It was tricky to get going but eventually it will install. Choose apt-get install gdm (gnome display manager) and configure Knoppix to use it instead of KDM. Tetex can be safely removed.
Similar Threads
-
By flashfyre in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-29-2004, 05:55 AM
-
By zroiy in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-07-2004, 02:56 AM
-
By leecming in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-29-2004, 12:57 AM
-
By freeballer in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-17-2003, 10:48 PM
-
By LRutker in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-18-2003, 11:43 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate Exos X16 ST12000NM001G 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$349.95