Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: hd install:difference between "knoppix-mode" &

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    9

    hd install:difference between "knoppix-mode" &

    hallo all
    I've read that the new version's installer has two options: "knoppix-mode"
    system and "debian-mode" system, and understood that "knoppix-mode"
    does some hardware detection on every boot.

    does someone know more details about the difference ?

    thanks a lot

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    10
    From what I understand "knoppix-mode" basically acts just like you booted from the CD. "debian-mode" is a full debian testing/unstable distribution.

    I've only done a "debian-mode" install, so I'm not 100% sure about "knoppix-mode".

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ozark Mts, USA
    Posts
    33

    Knoppix-mode

    I've been running knoppix-mode on a PII 450 (384 M RAM) for 3 months. Every morning when I boot up I thank Klaus Knopper.

    I used Partition Commander to create 4 FAT32 partitions:
    8 G for Win98
    2 G for the CD files, next version CD files and misc.
    500 M for the swap file.
    9 G for my /home.
    Booted Win98, downloaded Knoppix, burned it to a CD with Nero, Copied the files on the CD to 2 G partition. Rebooted and set BIOS to boot from CD, booted into Knoppix, clicked K=>KNOPPIX=>Root Shell (I love this!) and put a floppy in and entered:
    dd if=/mnt/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0
    The rare time I need Win98 I take the floppy out. I enter:
    knoppix home=/dev/hda4 at the boot: prompt tho this may no longer be necessary with 9-24.
    I clicked K=>KNOPPIX=>Configure and created the swap file.
    I clicked K=>KNOPPIX=>Configure and created /home.
    When I upgrade Knoppix I copy the CD files to the 2 G partition and create a new start up diskette.
    Upgrading doesn't get any easier. And that persistent /home can be copied to USB 'thumb' drive and easily moved to another computer.
    I love surfing with a smug attitude, Root me!
    Thank you, Klaus Knopper.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    9
    hallo all
    two more questions:

    are the files still compressed when copied to HD as knoppix-mode ?
    can you use apt-get for installing programs from the debian tree ?

    thanks

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ozark Mts, USA
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by violinist
    hallo all
    two more questions:

    are the files still compressed when copied to HD as knoppix-mode ?
    can you use apt-get for installing programs from the debian tree ?

    thanks
    1. Yes, frees your CD player, great security online.
    2. No, but you can with debian-mode. I use knoppix-mode and haven't tried debian-mode but many people (Joe Barr for one.) say that it is the easiest Debian install.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    13
    EdlinUser,

    Are you sure that the filesystem is still compressed when transferred to HD using Knoppix-mode?
    My system shows that it takes up over 2Gb of the HD.

  7. #7
    Junior Member Eavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4
    The installer itself sums it up best:

    A Knoppix system will work exactly as from CD, but tools like apt-get do work. Debian-Type however is a full featured debian system and works like the 'old installer'.
    The Knoppix-type install simply uncompresses the compressed image onto your harddisk without any modifications. The only difference to the live CD's compressed filesystem is that now it's writeable. That's why you can use apt-get and other programs which require write-access to work properly.

    The Debian-type install also modifies the extracted files to turn the system into a normal Debian GNU/Linux installation. It removes the single-user-autologin and shutdown-on-logout, among other things like auto-configuration, so it's a true Debian system.

    Hope that helps...

Similar Threads

  1. Debian install "end session" & "shutdown/
    By ihcnut in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 09:26 PM
  2. "Undefined mode" error
    By Mustang64 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 05:57 AM
  3. Create "My Computer" in KDE (easy mode)
    By henrique in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-15-2003, 04:42 AM
  4. (Video) "Mode not supported"
    By logiker in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 06:26 AM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$12.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00