-
Knoppix-mode
I've been running knoppix-mode on a PII 450 (384 M RAM) for 3 months. Every morning when I boot up I thank Klaus Knopper.
I used Partition Commander to create 4 FAT32 partitions:
8 G for Win98
2 G for the CD files, next version CD files and misc.
500 M for the swap file.
9 G for my /home.
Booted Win98, downloaded Knoppix, burned it to a CD with Nero, Copied the files on the CD to 2 G partition. Rebooted and set BIOS to boot from CD, booted into Knoppix, clicked K=>KNOPPIX=>Root Shell (I love this!) and put a floppy in and entered:
dd if=/mnt/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0
The rare time I need Win98 I take the floppy out. I enter:
knoppix home=/dev/hda4 at the boot: prompt tho this may no longer be necessary with 9-24.
I clicked K=>KNOPPIX=>Configure and created the swap file.
I clicked K=>KNOPPIX=>Configure and created /home.
When I upgrade Knoppix I copy the CD files to the 2 G partition and create a new start up diskette.
Upgrading doesn't get any easier. And that persistent /home can be copied to USB 'thumb' drive and easily moved to another computer.
I love surfing with a smug attitude, Root me! 
Thank you, Klaus Knopper.
Similar Threads
-
By ihcnut in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-26-2004, 09:26 PM
-
By Mustang64 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-17-2004, 05:57 AM
-
By henrique in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-15-2003, 04:42 AM
-
By logiker in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-11-2003, 06:26 AM
-
By Juny in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Military Aerospace Double-Sided Logic Board Gold Ceramic ICs Hybrids
$89.95

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

Vintage HP DVD Writer dvd210i Internal IDE Drive Q2116A BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED
$58.85

Vintage Apple Comp Rainbow Black Canvas Leather Laptop Briefcase Messenger Bag
$49.00

Vintage Military Aerospace FLAP CONTROL Circuit Board Hybrid Modules Gold ICs
$224.95

RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller
$35.00

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage Promise EIDEMAX Enhanced IDE Disk Controller ISA Non-RAID Card Boxed
$34.99

VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED
$500.00