How does one edit the /etc/hosts file? I've tried root passwd without success. I'm trying to connect to a Mandrake box but can only ping back and forth. Can I connect without editing the /etc/hosts file?
Thanks,
Wayne
How does one edit the /etc/hosts file? I've tried root passwd without success. I'm trying to connect to a Mandrake box but can only ping back and forth. Can I connect without editing the /etc/hosts file?
Thanks,
Wayne
/etc/hosts is just a link to the cdrom. The best thing to do is to rename it as /etc/hosts.old and then create a new /etc/hosts and manually fill it. Don't forget localhost!
You have to remove the sym-link, allright. If you want to have a start, you can use
Then you are able to edit the hosts-file.Code:rm /etc/hosts cp /KNOPPIX/etc/hosts /etc/hosts

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99