Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Viewing videos

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    14

    Viewing videos

    Hi folks!

    New to Linux/Knoppix.

    I want to view movie trailers on the Apple.com website. Normally, I use Windows/Quicktime but there seems to be no option for Linux.

    What to do? Can I use Xine or is there a Quicktime version that will run with Knoppix, or something else entirely?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Viewing videos

    --You have to be installed to HD, but you can install mplayer.

    ' apt-get install mplayer-686 w32codecs '

    --Go also to the mplayer site ( http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design6/dload.html ) and
    Install mplayer-skin--default-1.7.tar.bz2 into
    /usr/local/share/mplayer/Skin
    Install mplayer--qt6dlls.tar.bz2, mplayer--qtextras.tar.bz2

    --Hopefully that should work, there's lots of stuff on the web to help with installing/using mplayer.

    Quote Originally Posted by dmedici
    Hi folks!

    New to Linux/Knoppix.

    I want to view movie trailers on the Apple.com website. Normally, I use Windows/Quicktime but there seems to be no option for Linux.

    What to do? Can I use Xine or is there a Quicktime version that will run with Knoppix, or something else entirely?

    Thanks in advance!

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    14
    Dave,

    Again, thanks in advance for your help. I've been able to figure out a bunch of new things from your post.

    Question -

    what do you mean by this line...

    ' apt-get install mplayer-686 w32codecs '

    and this line

    Install mplayer--qt6dlls.tar.bz2, mplayer--qtextras.tar.bz2

    Are these instructions to be typed into the shell? Sorry, I'm really new at Linux.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    (Activate patience... Ok)

    As root, you type that apt-get install line while connected to the Internet. Apt then installs mplayer-686 and the Win codecs.

    You may have to add this to /etc/apt/sources.list :

    Code:
    # mplayer 2003.0715
    deb http://marillat.free.fr/ stable main
    deb http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main
    --Check http://www.apt-get.org/ for other unofficial debian software.

    When downloading the files from the mplayer website (the .bz2 files) I renamed them on the fly to mplayer--origfilename so I knew what they were related to. You *have* to have a default skin, and you said you wanted to view QT files. So you download those bz2's and install them where the mplayer site tells you to.

    There is a howto on their website:
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/en/documentation.html

    Quote Originally Posted by dmedici
    Dave,

    Again, thanks in advance for your help. I've been able to figure out a bunch of new things from your post.

    Question -

    what do you mean by this line...

    ' apt-get install mplayer-686 w32codecs '

    and this line

    Install mplayer--qt6dlls.tar.bz2, mplayer--qtextras.tar.bz2

    Are these instructions to be typed into the shell? Sorry, I'm really new at Linux.

Similar Threads

  1. I can't see videos with xine.
    By JLJR in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-30-2003, 03:22 PM
  2. Viewing motherboard temperatures
    By pummer in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 06:08 PM
  3. Viewing DVD
    By gatzke in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 04:35 PM
  4. videos on web sites?
    By yazdzik in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 09:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4

$154.76



Datto S3P4000 4x 3.5

Datto S3P4000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4

$137.56



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99