Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Knoppix newbie!!!!!!!!!!

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13

    Knoppix newbie!!!!!!!!!!

    I am a newbie so please be patient. I burnt Knoppix on a cd and everytime I try to boot, it says the following:File D:/Knoppix v3.2-2003-09-05-EN.ISO does not reside on a local fixed drive. The source drive,"D" may not be able to supply data fast enough to write to a recorder. This could cause a buffer underrun and result in an unusable disc. Do you wish to continue? I click yes and nothing happens.

    Please tell me what I am doing wrong and what I can do to correct it.

    Thank you
    pbearseven

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    This is a pretty wierd message. Did you set the bios order to boot from CD first?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13

    Knoppix newbie again!!!

    No I did not. Please tell me how.

    thank you
    pbearseven

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Knoppix newbie again!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by pbearseven
    No I did not. Please tell me how.

    thank you
    pbearseven
    When you boot you usually see a message telling you something like hit DEL or some other key to enter the setup. Before you do that though you are going to have to burn the disk properly though right now you have burned just the ISO file to the disk. You should look for the option in your burning program to make a bootable disk from an ISO image or something similar. BTW if you are on a high speed connection you may want to download a new ISO the latest version of knoppix is 3.3 on 2003-09-24.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13
    I'm sorry, I'm just not getting it.

    pbearseven

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    28
    If you CD-Rom is your D: drive, it sounds to me like you literally burned the iso file onto the CD rather than creating a CD from the iso.

    Boot into Windows first, then put the CD in the drive. The go to My Computer and click the CD (D:). What do you see as teh contents?

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13
    It says:Files currently on the cd. I double clicked it and it said Windows can't open this file.

    pbearseven

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    28
    Umm---it didn't show this:

    Knoppix v3.2-2003-09-05-EN.ISO

    In the window?

    Hmmm....

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    28
    I just re-read your original post again.

    What burning software are you using? If I have it, I'll post you a tutorial on exactly what to do.

    Also, although it doesn't really matter, what OS are you using?

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13
    Roxio Easy CD+DVD Creator Ver. 6
    Windows XP Home

    pbearseven

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. newbie in knoppix ...
    By rrrjunior in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 02:40 PM
  2. Newbie: VNC in Knoppix 3.3
    By Jim Hart in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-09-2004, 01:35 AM
  3. Knoppix newbie
    By johngrinham in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 11:45 PM
  4. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
  5. knoppix newbie
    By srinivasan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2003, 08:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series

$235.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4 picture

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4

$79.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard picture

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard

$54.99