Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: sources.list question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5

    sources.list question

    After installing knoppix on the hdd, I looked at the sources.list file and saw that it had references to stable, testing and unstable. Should I comment out any of those lines or should I be trying to grab software from each one of those sources? How does this work?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    The sources.list is "proper" for knoppix.

    I've run into a few packages that wouldn't install unless I ran apt-get like this:
    apt-get -t testing "package-name"
    ( or -t unstable ) otherwise I got dependency errors and couldn't install the package.

    HTH

    rock

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by RockMumbles
    The sources.list is "proper" for knoppix.

    I've run into a few packages that wouldn't install unless I ran apt-get like this:
    apt-get -t testing "package-name"
    ( or -t unstable ) otherwise I got dependency errors and couldn't install the package.

    HTH

    rock
    It does, indeed, help. OTOH, it seems like having to have all those references (stable, testing, unstable) and having to type what you recommend kinda makes knoppix seem like it's built like a house of cards.

    One question, though: it doesn't sound like you need to type the above every time, so...when I type just apt-get install whatever, is the whatever going to be updated from stable, testing, or unstable.

    At any rate, It's a great distro.

    Thanks for your insight.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I've only run into a few times that I have had to use the " -t testing or -t unstable " install option, I've been playing around with and using debian for about a year or so and just discovered that here on this forum from using knoppix. I think you are correct in saying that with all three releases referenced knoppix is a "mixed bag of goodies" it must need to be that way or it wouldn't.

    For example I upgraded fluxbox and to get to 1.13 (??) I had to specify -t unstable, later I found the maintainers site and used his URI in sources.list and went a step beyond sid.

    The only places I've had problems is where a package exists in stable and requires KDE2 libs, etc. I use quanta for web pages and the only "official" debian quanta package is in stable, built for KDE 2 so it won't install, I have found debs of quanta 3 but I couldn't figure out the URI for sources.list so I used dpkg to install them, (WARNING in case you don't know, this can raise havock with your system, it is easy to upgrade a package to a non-functional version, std. linux liability release" If you break it you get to keep the pieces" been there, done that)

    BTW, If you are looking for non-standard apt-get URI's take a look at apt-get.org there is a whole bunch of stuff there.

    HTH

    rock

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix sources.list repository incomplete list.
    By vdesibabu in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
  2. sources.list
    By patiscool in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 12:42 AM
  3. sources.list
    By tsitras in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 03:10 PM
  4. sources.list question
    By TimWhite in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 12:35 PM
  5. Noob question about apt-get and sources.list
    By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 05:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



WHOOP  TAB-8US2 8

WHOOP TAB-8US2 8" Quad Core, 4G, 32 GB SSD, 3 GB RAM, Tablet PC W/Cover Bundle

$59.95



AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$210.00



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



MacBook Air 13

MacBook Air 13" Apple M1 8-core - 8-core GPU • 512 GB • RAM 8GB Very Good Cond

$450.00



HP - OmniBook 3 - 14

HP - OmniBook 3 - 14" 2K OLED Laptop - Snapdragon X (8-Core CPU) - 8GB Memory...

$399.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor…. picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….

$309.99



Lenovo Thinkcentre M720q Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8GB RAM 256GB No OS USFF Desktop picture

Lenovo Thinkcentre M720q Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8GB RAM 256GB No OS USFF Desktop

$115.00



Dell Optiplex 7070 Intel Core i5 9th Gen 8GB RAM No Drive/OS USFF Desktop picture

Dell Optiplex 7070 Intel Core i5 9th Gen 8GB RAM No Drive/OS USFF Desktop

$150.00