-
Junior Member
registered user
maximum twisted-pair cable length ?
hi, need some help in here !
I want to connect 2 machines with each other using ethernet card on each node connected with a null-cable, what is the maximum length for my case ?
p.s.:I am planning to get a 40 METERS twisted-pair cable
thanks in advance for help
-
Senior Member
registered user
I've got a machine here on about a 20m cable so it will go that far a quick google search came up with this which says 300ft.
-
Junior Member
registered user
thats great, if that includes my case:
NIC to NIC, with 40 meters, then I am going to make this connection, note that I dont want to use hub nor switch, just a plain NIC to NIC.
thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
adyga
thats great, if that includes my case:
NIC to NIC, with 40 meters, then I am going to make this connection, note that I dont want to use hub nor switch, just a plain NIC to NIC.
thanks

I think that may include a switch I was just reading the first link in the google search on making your own cable and they are talking about 30m as a maximum for the soft cable type you can still give it a try though and see what happens.
-
40 metres is Ok
Max length from end to end for 100baseT is 100 metres a touch more than 300 feet.
The length is restricted by signal timing considerations not signal strength or external interference so can't be extended by using screened cable.
Using old style "Thin ethernet" co-axial cable with BNC connectors however allows almost twice this..
-
Junior Member
registered user
if you use the 'CAT 5e' cable you can guarantee transmissions up to 180 meters, without the use of repeaters.
-
Hi,
you can guarantee transmissions up to 180 meters,
I have tested 100BaseT with J-Y(st)Y 2x2x0.8 (ordinary german 4 wire _telephone_ cable) over about 50m without problems, so there is a lot of security in your range.
Ciao Martin
-
I agree with the 100 meters / 300 feet thing (according to my education, I have never actually set one up this big.)
Similar Threads
-
By sakiZ in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-18-2005, 02:21 PM
-
By hdd_messed in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-27-2004, 09:38 AM
-
By warawara in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-15-2004, 05:45 PM
-
By Duffin444 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 8
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 05:52 PM
-
By vesselinpeev in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-29-2003, 05:32 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120
$69.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop
$29.99