I've got a machine here on about a 20m cable so it will go that far a quick google search came up with this which says 300ft.
hi, need some help in here !
I want to connect 2 machines with each other using ethernet card on each node connected with a null-cable, what is the maximum length for my case ?
p.s.:I am planning to get a 40 METERS twisted-pair cable
thanks in advance for help![]()
I've got a machine here on about a 20m cable so it will go that far a quick google search came up with this which says 300ft.
thats great, if that includes my case:
NIC to NIC, with 40 meters, then I am going to make this connection, note that I dont want to use hub nor switch, just a plain NIC to NIC.
thanks![]()
I think that may include a switch I was just reading the first link in the google search on making your own cable and they are talking about 30m as a maximum for the soft cable type you can still give it a try though and see what happens.Originally Posted by adyga
40 metres is Ok
Max length from end to end for 100baseT is 100 metres a touch more than 300 feet.
The length is restricted by signal timing considerations not signal strength or external interference so can't be extended by using screened cable.
Using old style "Thin ethernet" co-axial cable with BNC connectors however allows almost twice this..
if you use the 'CAT 5e' cable you can guarantee transmissions up to 180 meters, without the use of repeaters.
Hi,
I have tested 100BaseT with J-Y(st)Y 2x2x0.8 (ordinary german 4 wire _telephone_ cable) over about 50m without problems, so there is a lot of security in your range.you can guarantee transmissions up to 180 meters,
Ciao Martin
I agree with the 100 meters / 300 feet thing (according to my education, I have never actually set one up this big.)

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$44.99
5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, AUMOX PRO Home 5|5*1G Port, Black
$8.95
TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears
$99.99
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP
$127.00