Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: maximum twisted-pair cable length ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    18

    maximum twisted-pair cable length ?

    hi, need some help in here !
    I want to connect 2 machines with each other using ethernet card on each node connected with a null-cable, what is the maximum length for my case ?
    p.s.:I am planning to get a 40 METERS twisted-pair cable
    thanks in advance for help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I've got a machine here on about a 20m cable so it will go that far a quick google search came up with this which says 300ft.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    18
    thats great, if that includes my case:
    NIC to NIC, with 40 meters, then I am going to make this connection, note that I dont want to use hub nor switch, just a plain NIC to NIC.
    thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by adyga
    thats great, if that includes my case:
    NIC to NIC, with 40 meters, then I am going to make this connection, note that I dont want to use hub nor switch, just a plain NIC to NIC.
    thanks
    I think that may include a switch I was just reading the first link in the google search on making your own cable and they are talking about 30m as a maximum for the soft cable type you can still give it a try though and see what happens.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1
    40 metres is Ok
    Max length from end to end for 100baseT is 100 metres a touch more than 300 feet.
    The length is restricted by signal timing considerations not signal strength or external interference so can't be extended by using screened cable.

    Using old style "Thin ethernet" co-axial cable with BNC connectors however allows almost twice this..

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    19
    if you use the 'CAT 5e' cable you can guarantee transmissions up to 180 meters, without the use of repeaters.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    94
    Hi,

    you can guarantee transmissions up to 180 meters,
    I have tested 100BaseT with J-Y(st)Y 2x2x0.8 (ordinary german 4 wire _telephone_ cable) over about 50m without problems, so there is a lot of security in your range.

    Ciao Martin

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    I agree with the 100 meters / 300 feet thing (according to my education, I have never actually set one up this big.)

Similar Threads

  1. Password Length Limit in Knoppix
    By sakiZ in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 02:21 PM
  2. HELP. trying to fsck or fdisk the hardrive. zero-length. I/O
    By hdd_messed in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 09:38 AM
  3. BLock size/image length
    By warawara in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 05:45 PM
  4. Average European Vacation length?
    By Duffin444 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 05:52 PM
  5. Apt-get stalls on cable cable connection
    By vesselinpeev in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 05:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$16.41



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



TP-LINK TL-SG108PE 8-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Managed PoE+ Switch 4-Port 64W picture

TP-LINK TL-SG108PE 8-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Managed PoE+ Switch 4-Port 64W

$24.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99