Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Installing j2re

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    5100N 0019W
    Posts
    19

    Installing j2re

    Ok, so i've downloaded OOo 1.1 which tell's me that I haven't got a "java runtime environment".

    So I download the j2re version 1.4 and when ever I try to install it, using./j2re-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc3.2.bin I just end up with "permission denied" whether this is done as user, user su'd to root or logged in fully as root.

    What am I doing wrong, or can anyone tell me of another way of getting the darned thing installed ??

    regards

    John

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Installing j2re

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn
    Ok, so i've downloaded OOo 1.1 which tell's me that I haven't got a "java runtime environment".

    So I download the j2re version 1.4 and when ever I try to install it, using./j2re-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc3.2.bin I just end up with "permission denied" whether this is done as user, user su'd to root or logged in fully as root.

    What am I doing wrong, or can anyone tell me of another way of getting the darned thing installed ??

    regards

    John
    Did you chmod +x j2re-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc3.2.bin to make the file executable before you tried to run it?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    5100N 0019W
    Posts
    19
    Nope, that's what I could be doing wrong then.

    I'll "double away smartly" and try that.

    regards

    John

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    5100N 0019W
    Posts
    19
    Thanks Stephen,

    That seems to have done the trick.

    Erm, just a quick question though - do you normally have to make script install's executable first or do they normally come ready to execute?

    I've only used one once before for "america's army" from a linux format cover disc and seem to recall that that just "did it's thing" (under mandrake)

    regards

    John

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Why did you need j2re in the first place? There's a GPL JDK on the CD (gcc's gcj) and a GPL JRE too (blackdown java) I thought....

    Regards,

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Why did you need j2re in the first place? There's a GPL JDK on the CD (gcc's gcj) and a GPL JRE too (blackdown java) I thought....

    Regards,
    I'm not sure if the blackdown package will work with OO. Regardless however I have tried to figure out for a long time what differences having java or not having java has for running OO. As far as I can see, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. If I'm wrong here please tell me how. I'd like to know.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn
    Thanks Stephen,

    That seems to have done the trick.

    Erm, just a quick question though - do you normally have to make script install's executable first or do they normally come ready to execute?

    John
    Yes you usually have to go out of your way to make sure things will execute it's security issue and Debian is very big on security by default. If you were downloading and installing from a debian mirror that would be different the install script would run as a normal part of the install process.

Similar Threads

  1. installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch
    By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari SX212 Modem for IBM-Compatible Systems w/ Power Adapter & Manuals NOS picture

Atari SX212 Modem for IBM-Compatible Systems w/ Power Adapter & Manuals NOS

$125.00



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



Atari Home Computer Software/Books/Manuals/Magazines Lot - Read desc for details picture

Atari Home Computer Software/Books/Manuals/Magazines Lot - Read desc for details

$95.00



Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord  picture

Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord

$23.99



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



Atari 800 Home Computer 48K RAM In Original Box w/ Styro RF Switch Extra Games picture

Atari 800 Home Computer 48K RAM In Original Box w/ Styro RF Switch Extra Games

$349.30



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29