Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: [?]Strange persistent artifact on screen with Knoppix 8.6 after "Suspend-Restart"s

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    29
    Although you do not write about this, I think that this problem does not occur in live mode, and, as you said, it is related to your persistent changes. Probably it is a Knoppix LXDE (X, Compiz?) bug. I remember that I had similar experiences, not after suspend, but in plain LXDE session: did not disappear the window size notification from the desktop. If I remember well, I resolved this by resizing again a window with mouse or logging out/in from X. But the latest is also problematic (at least in Knoppix 9.1 which I use), the implementation of logging out/in is buggy. If not a problem for you, you can use Gnome or KDE, or replace your persistent /home/knoppix directory with the live version one, of course in a live session (first save your important configuration dirs, files, and after replace them back). Maybe it helps if you use LXDE-Openbox session instead of LXDE-Compiz. Unfortunately in current Knoppix you have to use the buggy Compiz, cannot switch to LXDE-Openbox.

    Nowadays the Knoppix LXDE implementation is pretty buggy, a lot of things changed during Knoppix history... There are Knoppix scripts that are not needed anymore or does not function as expected. Should be done a general maintenance. Or even better changing the default LXDE to LXQt, wich is actively maintained, or to Trinity desktop, wich has a lot of features, it is lightweight, and actively maintained, too.
    Last edited by szzsqing1; 04-17-2022 at 12:59 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275

    Reply to szzsqing1's post ...

    Thank you, szzsqing1, for your informative post.Your sharing of your own experience really helped.
    Quote Originally Posted by szzsqing1 View Post
    ... I think that this problem does not occur in live mode, and, as you said, it is related to your persistent changes ....
    I haven't checked, as I use persistent always. I will, in the coming days, and post my report.

    Quote Originally Posted by szzsqing1 View Post
    ... I remember that I had similar experiences, not after suspend, but in plain LXDE session: did not disappear the window size notification from the desktop...
    In my case, the artifact appears after revival from Suspend.


    Quote Originally Posted by szzsqing1 View Post
    ... If I remember well, I resolved this by resizing again a window with mouse ...
    I tried this, but can't seem to identify the window that is the mischief-maker.

    Quote Originally Posted by szzsqing1 View Post
    ... or logging out/in from X. .
    Yes, this too works.

    Quote Originally Posted by szzsqing1 View Post
    ... But the latest is also problematic (at least in Knoppix 9.1 which I use), the implementation of logging out/in is buggy. If not a problem for you, you can use Gnome or KDE, or replace your persistent /home/knoppix directory with the live version one, of course in a live session (first save your important configuration dirs, files, and after replace them back)..
    Thank goodness that I didn't upgrade to 9.1! But one note: I use an entire ext4 partition with persistent. I have an old post describing the steps. With a file knoppix-data.inf at the root of the partition, with the line having these entries:
    Code:
    (partitionNumber)      /(where the data files are stored)    (partition type)
    Quote Originally Posted by szzsqing1 View Post
    ... Maybe it helps if you use LXDE-Openbox session instead of LXDE-Compiz. Unfortunately in current Knoppix you have to use the buggy Compiz, cannot switch to LXDE-Openbox..
    Ok. I will try. Actually, I haven't ever used openbox seriously, so I am not very comfortable with it. Will try. Knoppix has these options: kde|gnome|icewm|fluxbox|openbox|larswm|evilwm|twm.
    I will also try with no3D.

    Quote Originally Posted by szzsqing1 View Post
    ... Or even better changing the default LXDE to LXQt, wich is activey maintained, or to Trinity desktop, wich has a lot of features, it is lightweight, and actively maintained, too.
    I am not sure if Trinity or LXQt is at all in the Knoppix 8.6 DVD ISO. I will check.

    Actually, I have a Debian environment installed, but I prefer using Knoppix, as I have been using it consistently for the last 14 years, from 5.something. I have wonderful memories with Knoppix and a few good friends, whom I don't find here any more.

    In the end, thanks once more for replying to my post, sharing your experience. Much appreciated.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD picture

IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD

$87.96



IBM 00FN709 X3850 X6 Compute Book 3837 Barebone picture

IBM 00FN709 X3850 X6 Compute Book 3837 Barebone

$114.99