Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: [?]Strange persistent artifact on screen with Knoppix 8.6 after "Suspend-Restart"s

Threaded View

  1. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    29
    I tried this, but can't seem to identify the window that is the mischief-maker.
    Yes, it happened in the past and somehow the "bug" was saved, and now you cannot find that specific reason. If it was saved in some cache maybe deleting the (hidden) cache dirs in your home dir also helps. But I really do not know the reason and as the LXDE dev has stopped there are not too much info on the net.

    When I mentioned LXQt and TDE, I suggested this to the developer of Knoppix OS, to replace the present default LXDE, as a better option. I did not mean that now it is actually an option in KNX to choose. Of course you can try to install these desktop environments, but not much chance to succeed. I already tried to install TDE and it is just impossible in Knoppix (because this a special Debian distro, FrankenDebian)...

    Also from kde|gnome|icewm|fluxbox|openbox|larswm|evilwm|twm options actually only the first two are real options. In past maybe the others were real options but nowadays they are dropped. Openbox boot option still worked not too long ago, but not in the current version. If you start (-ed in the past) KNX with OB you get a very simple OB environment without lxsession, lxpanel, lxmenu, etc. So not very usable. What I recommended you, LXDE-OB is a real LX session with OB window manager, not with Compiz window manager (the main difference is that you will not get Compiz effects, but everything else can be configured and works very well). This could be accomplished in older KNX versions (by editing some config files). Otherwise, LXDE-OB is the most used LX session type, Debian Live LXDE uses this, too.

    LXDE-OB can be used also in current KNX instead of LXDE-Compiz, but needs to be installed some debs. Some time ago I read a tutorial about this issue, and this evening I tried to find that article. Without success because meantime that page disappeared from the net!

    http://students.engr.scu.edu/~sschaeck/

    Fortunately there is a website (archive.org) which archives the WWW (among other things), and I have found the page there. Here is the URL (saved at 2019-11-14):

    How to get most out of Knoppix 8
    https://web.archive.org/web/20191114210258/http://students.engr.scu.edu/~sschaeck/knoppix/index.html

    So, it seems that also in your version you have to install some debs in order to use LXDE-Openbox. But according to the tutorial it is possible. I did not try. Good luck you!
    Last edited by szzsqing1; 04-17-2022 at 07:23 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640

$39.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95