-
"Pure" MD5 sums: how can I be sure I'm getting &qu
Hello.
I've been enjoying Knoppix 3.2 for many months now. Now I'd like to try out and use 3.3.
I can get from many many mirrors, but none from the Knoppix site itself. Probably that's good, as if that site had it available for download, it would be swamped.
But what I would like to know is, does the Knoppix or Knopper website have at least a posting of the MD5 sum? It is possible that a mirror may have a compromised or unauthentic version of Knoppix on it. All a bad person would need to do is create a new MD5 sum for that mirror, and nobody would ever know.
Can anyone direct me to a place on the basic Knopper.net website that shows the original MD5 sum of the Knoppix master?
Thank you very much.
Joe
-
Senior Member
registered user
MD5 signature files are small, so feel free to get them from *several*
mirrors if you mistrust the one you download your ISO from...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: "Pure" MD5 sums: how can I be sure I'm getting

Originally Posted by
Joe Programmer
But what I would like to know is, does the Knoppix or Knopper website have at least a posting of the MD5 sum? It is possible that a mirror may have a compromised or unauthentic version of Knoppix on it. All a bad person would need to do is create a new MD5 sum for that mirror, and nobody would ever know.
Thank you very much.
Joe
You could always use GPG and look at the GPG signed md5.asc file and fetch the public key for the signature the file contains the md5 sum and the signature to prevent the possibility for problems that you are worried about. So unless someone gets the GPG key used to generate the signature file you can always check the validity of the md5sum on the mirror.
-
Stephen: Thanks for your helpful tip. I did not realize that the md5.asc was GPG signed.
How can I be sure to get an authentic public key of the signer?
Also, how can I figure out how to use GPG without being an expert power user with it (For example, md5 is nice and easy to understand and use)?
Thank you very much.
Joe.
Similar Threads
-
By oman in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 06:44 PM
-
By Al Hayes in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:57 AM
-
By oreo in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
-
By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
-
By Juny in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch
$69.99

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188
$24.94

Cisco Catalyst C9800-L-F-K9 9800-L Wireless LAN Controller w/ AC Adapter
$1596.60

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch
$39.99

CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New
$1049.00