Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: "Pure" MD5 sums: how can I be sure I'm getting &qu

  1. #1

    "Pure" MD5 sums: how can I be sure I'm getting &qu

    Hello.

    I've been enjoying Knoppix 3.2 for many months now. Now I'd like to try out and use 3.3.

    I can get from many many mirrors, but none from the Knoppix site itself. Probably that's good, as if that site had it available for download, it would be swamped.

    But what I would like to know is, does the Knoppix or Knopper website have at least a posting of the MD5 sum? It is possible that a mirror may have a compromised or unauthentic version of Knoppix on it. All a bad person would need to do is create a new MD5 sum for that mirror, and nobody would ever know.

    Can anyone direct me to a place on the basic Knopper.net website that shows the original MD5 sum of the Knoppix master?



    Thank you very much.


    Joe

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    MD5 signature files are small, so feel free to get them from *several*
    mirrors if you mistrust the one you download your ISO from...

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: "Pure" MD5 sums: how can I be sure I'm getting

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Programmer
    But what I would like to know is, does the Knoppix or Knopper website have at least a posting of the MD5 sum? It is possible that a mirror may have a compromised or unauthentic version of Knoppix on it. All a bad person would need to do is create a new MD5 sum for that mirror, and nobody would ever know.

    Thank you very much.


    Joe
    You could always use GPG and look at the GPG signed md5.asc file and fetch the public key for the signature the file contains the md5 sum and the signature to prevent the possibility for problems that you are worried about. So unless someone gets the GPG key used to generate the signature file you can always check the validity of the md5sum on the mirror.

  4. #4
    Stephen: Thanks for your helpful tip. I did not realize that the md5.asc was GPG signed.

    How can I be sure to get an authentic public key of the signer?


    Also, how can I figure out how to use GPG without being an expert power user with it (For example, md5 is nice and easy to understand and use)?


    Thank you very much.


    Joe.

Similar Threads

  1. USR 56k PCI modem "busy"/"not found",rec
    By oman in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 06:44 PM
  2. "pon" gives "ttyS overrun" after upgrade
    By Al Hayes in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:57 AM
  3. "Connection Reset by Peer" or "hang"
    By oreo in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
  4. "Foreign" drive formats and "dd" command
    By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36



HP ProDesk 400 G5 Desktop Mini Intel Core i5-9500T Gen 8GB DDR4 As-Is For Parts picture

HP ProDesk 400 G5 Desktop Mini Intel Core i5-9500T Gen 8GB DDR4 As-Is For Parts

$49.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



Dell Latitude 5420 14

Dell Latitude 5420 14" - Core i5-1145G7 - 8GB - 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro - WARRANTY

$276.35



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99