Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: 3D hardware acceleration

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1

    3D hardware acceleration

    hi forum,

    i just made three tests with 'glxgears' on my duron1.2/gforce2mx machine:

    suse9.0 (installed on hd + nvidia.com module) - 775fps
    knoppix3.3 (live-cd) - 200fps
    morphix (gamer live-cd) - 1423fps

    why doesn't knoppix have nvidia drivers included ?

    hows the 3D hw-acceleration on ati cards under knoppix ?

    cheers
    -andre
    ps. i wonder why morphix is double so fast as my installed suse9.0...

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15

    Re: 3D hardware acceleration

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmidt
    ps. i wonder why morphix is double so fast as my installed suse9.0...
    I noticed in a recent update of Morphix a note that preemptive and low latency had been turned off, so it might be that previous releases may have had both enabled to give a speed increase. Just speculation though.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    I get about 1300 FPS on my box (ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 M9) with Knoppix 3.3 2003-11-19

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13
    i get 180 - 200.. im running a 1.2 athlon and a geforce 4 ti4200 - knoppix 3.3 live cd

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    With the 4496 drivers on my Duron 800 with TNT2 I get about 450-500 with Knoppix 3.3 and my Athlon 1.333 Debian SID with GeForce4 440 I get about 1650-1700. Tried the new 5328 drivers on the Duron and got about 75-85. Oh and to answer the question Klaus will not put the drivers on the disk becasue of the liscense.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Yup, but there's a script out there by fabianx to install nvidia drivers on the fly if you have an nvidia accelerated graphics card (whether you're running off the CD or the HDD).

    BTW, how do I measure my fps rate? I have the nvidia drivers on my HDD on a VANTA graphics card.

    TIA,

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    BTW, how do I measure my fps rate? I have the nvidia drivers on my HDD on a VANTA graphics card.
    What we are talking about is the frame rate when running a test program called glxgears (/usr/X11R6/bin/glxgears)

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Oh, OK, I thought you could measure the frame rate of any graphics intensive application somehow.

    BTW, I'm getting about 1800 fps on my Dell Dimension 4100 with Vanta graphics card, PIII 866 Mhz, 128MB RAM. What's strange is that is fluxuated between 500 and 700 for a while. Then I switched to Konqueror to write this and it flew up to between 1700 and 1900. Why is that?

    EDIT: In fact, I left it running for about an hour and got rates closer and closer to nearly 2000 fps.

    Regards,

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    BTW, I'm getting about 1800 fps on my Dell Dimension 4100 with Vanta graphics card, PIII 866 Mhz, 128MB RAM. What's strange is that is fluxuated between 500 and 700 for a while. Then I switched to Konqueror to write this and it flew up to between 1700 and 1900. Why is that?
    I guess whatever you were using before Konqueror was doing a lot of drawing on the screen. Some web sites with lots of animations perhaps ?

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I guess whatever you were using before Konqueror was doing a lot of drawing on the screen. Some web sites with lots of animations perhaps?
    Nope, just a shell and the gears.

    OOPS, I take it back. When I run glxgears all by itself I get around 600 fps. When I switch apps to like Konqueror, I get nearly 2000 fps but thats with the gears animation in the background (ie: not visible as the Konqueror window is covering it). BTW, thats on my Dell which is running from an hdd installation using knoppix-installer as knoppix (2003.0924 ISO) plus the nvidia install script.

    Regards,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Turning on Hardware Acceleration (Low FPS in openGL)
    By uberphoenix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 04:13 AM
  2. DMA acceleration
    By jjbergdolt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 12:57 PM
  3. XFree86-DRI & video acceleration
    By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2004, 05:57 PM
  4. ATI All In Wonder 7500 no 3d acceleration
    By Zagreus in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 11:08 AM
  5. 3d acceleration and ati 320m
    By hnugz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-04-2004, 11:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard picture

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard

$163.49



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield picture

ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield

$60.00



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99