-
Senior Member
registered user
Nope, still stuck.
I'm using Arno's IPtables-firewall script.
Internet-----|server knoppix|-------Intranet-------|client knoppix|
eth0 - DHCP eth1 - 192.168.0.1 eth0 - 192.168.0.2
Server can ping internet and client box (ping 192.169.0.2) client box can ping server box (ping 192.168.0.1) but not internet or the IP of the server allocated by DHCP on eth0 (the internet connection).
Making changes with 'netcardconfig' to the client box results in:-
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
Settings all look okay, think I've tried every variation.....
-
Senior Member
registered user
Nearly there. Having both server and client running Knoppix was too many unknowns so I reboot the server intoWindow$ 98SE with ICS running.
Using 'netcardconfig' and choosing DHCP had it working, so I used 'ifconfig eth0' to check what settings DHCP has allocated. It only shows IP, Bcast and Mask, so I entered these using 'netcardconfig' having chosen manual config. It didn't work! The only additional 'missing' values required for manual setup in 'netcardconfig' are Default gateway and DNS, so I experimented until I found the working values. (the ones that were there all the time staring me in the face.....)
I rebooted the server into Knoppix and tried DCHP on the client and it failed, however the manual setup values that worked for W98SE ICS DO work with Knoppix.
Don't know why DHCP doesn't work on Knoppix, do you?
All good practice to get my brain working again..... now for the next challenge, importing outlook express 6 into Kmail (then using firewire for video editing..... then burning CDRs.....then?)
Thanks for all the help! Stu.....
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
stukennedyuk
I rebooted the server into Knoppix and tried DCHP on the client and it failed, however the manual setup values that worked for W98SE ICS DO work with Knoppix.
Don't know why DHCP doesn't work on Knoppix, do you?
You do not have a DHCP server running on the Knoppix server so there is no way for the client to get an address from DHCP in win98 ICS has a builtin server so the Knoppix client could get the settings it needed. Good to hear you got it going BTW. Burning CD should be pretty simple it should already be setup for it on the machine that has the burner try cdrecord --scanbus it should return something similar to this:
Code:
[06:12 PM Tue Oct 07: stephen @ ~]
>$ cdrecord --scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a18 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'HL-DT-ST' 'CD-RW GCE-8520B ' '1.00' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *
Here cdrecord tells me that I have a burner on the device 0,0,0 if your output is similar then you can burn right away if not it is just a matter of adjusting some settings. I have no firewire devices but I'm sure someone here can help you with that I believe you have to have the module ehci1394 loaded for access but I'm not quite sure about that you may want to do some searching on the site.
Similar Threads
-
By Jwizzman in forum Networking
Replies: 8
Last Post: 09-12-2004, 09:52 PM
-
By morfar in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-09-2004, 02:53 AM
-
By iisatrini in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 09:07 PM
-
By Calman in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-11-2004, 02:26 AM
-
By pfb in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-11-2003, 09:33 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold
$121.00

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00

16GB (2x8GB) RAM Kit DDR4 2666mhz 288-pin UDIMM SKhynix
$54.99

Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM
$120.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00