Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Laptop w/ External LCD not working

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7

    Laptop w/ External LCD not working

    Hi Everyone,

    I have a Compaq Presario 1800T, been enjoying knoppix on it for about three months w/o problem. I just got a new Dell 1800FP LCD though, and cannot get them to work together with Linux (does work w/ windows, so not hardware).

    I *suspect* part of the problem is that I'm trying to use it at 1280x1024, which I do not believe my 15" laptop display supports - though the video card does. I've tried various boot cheat codes, most ending in a blank display on both LCDs, or with the message:

    Code:
    starting single x-window session for user knoppix.  Please stand by a few seconds while the optimal configuration is being determined.
    
    starting x11...
    Retrying with server xfree86(vesa)
    Retrying with server xfree86(fbdev)
    Error: no suitable x-server found for your card
    The following list of lines are cheat code combinations I've attempted, which resulted in the above error set.

    Code:
    knoppix screen=1280x1024 vsync=60 xmodule=ati
    knoppix screen=1280x1024 vsync=60 xmodule=ati noddc
    knoppix fb1280x1024 screen=1280x1024 vsync=60 xmodule=ati
    I've tried the above codes without the 'knoppix' and only fb1280x1024, but recieved blank LCDs in return, and no luck.

    (update)I have since had two partial successes - a display, but only at 640x480. My problem above was assuming that the xmodule ati was the correct one. Leaving it out, it was able to work with vesa - at the lower resolution. I've tried both the *knoppix* and *knoppix-txt* kernels, with the same results.(/update)

    I would very much appreciate any ideas, help, advice. Thank You,

    Paul

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    fb1280x1024 xmodule=nv screen=1280x1024

    According to a post by marciano that works on a 1900FP. Who knows- it might work for you too.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    fb1280x1024 xmodule=nv screen=1280x1024

    According to a post by marciano that works on a 1900FP. Who knows- it might work for you too.
    That post actually got me to try the knoppix-txt kernel, which gave some limited success at 640x480.

    Code:
    knoppix-txt vsync=60 screen=1280x1024 noddc
    I believe I have an ATI card, but I tried your suggestion anyway. The display was blank, so I then tried it with xmodule=fbdev, and again a blank display. I also tried a 3rd time after adding the noddc option - which in past attempts has gotten me something, but still nothing.

    The best luck I've had so far is:

    Code:
    knoppix vsync=60 screen=1280x1024 noddc xmodule=fbdev
    That resulted in a display of 1024x768 - a lot better than 640x480, but still not what I want. Anything in xmodule besides fbdev doesn't seem to work, even though this is supposed to be a *Rage mobility M3 AGP 2x* - apparently not supported directly yet.

    I've been trying a number of the cheat codes, but anytime I use the fb1280x1024 kernels I get a uniformly blank display.

    Thanks for the help.

Similar Threads

  1. ADSL with Speedtouch external modem on Acer Aspire Laptop
    By Graham Neal in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 12:35 PM
  2. Knoppix not working on my Alienware laptop....
    By eLiTe-X in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-02-2003, 08:55 AM
  3. Working Laptop!
    By comctrl6 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 07:00 AM
  4. intel nic on fujitsu laptop not working
    By twyatt4321 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 08:39 PM
  5. One question away from a fully working laptop!!!!!
    By WANDr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



NEW Samsung USB Type-C 256GB Flash Drive USB 3.2 Gen 1 Genuine OEM -MUF-256DA/AM picture

NEW Samsung USB Type-C 256GB Flash Drive USB 3.2 Gen 1 Genuine OEM -MUF-256DA/AM

$55.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$179.10



SanDisk Ultra Dual Drive Go USB Type-C Flash Drive 2-Pack, USB 3.2 Gen 1, 128GB picture

SanDisk Ultra Dual Drive Go USB Type-C Flash Drive 2-Pack, USB 3.2 Gen 1, 128GB

$19.75



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL560 Gen9 (P85) P85_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL560 Gen9 (P85) P85_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99