-
Finding Hard drives
I too am a newbie to Knoppix. I booted up from the CD and everything went great. I am impressed that this OS works so well from the CDRom. My main purpose in trying this program was to recover some files on a secondary hard drive that Windows XP cannot access due to a possibly bad boot sector. (at least that seems like it). What I am trying to do is access this hard drive and copy my data files to CD so that I can reformat that hard drive. My problem is, I cannot find my hard drives with Knoppix. I tried a search, but my C, D, & E drives do not show up. Only the Knoppix drive shows. Am I looking in the wrong place, or do I need to do something different at boot up. Everything else in Knoppix seems to work.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You're looking in the wrong place. From the K menu > System > More Programs > File Manager Super User Mode.
Use this to navigate to /etc/fstab
Open fstab in any text editor and remove the # from each line under
# partitions found by Knoppix
one of which will be the hard drive you want. Save the edited file.
Reboot.
then do (as root) mount -t vfat /dev/hd?? /mnt
or mount -t ntfs /dev/hd?? /mnt
depending on whether the file system is vfat or ntfs
the hd?? would be hda for the first hard drive (primary master) hdb for the primary slave and so on. The first partition is represented by hd?1 and so on.
You'll see clues by reading /etc/fstab
-
Thanks so much for the help! I am sure that would have taken me a lot of searching and trial and error to have come up with it. Now, off to resolve my issues.......
Similar Threads
-
By db109 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-24-2005, 04:40 AM
-
By passion_wheel1974 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-18-2005, 11:06 PM
-
By phsieh in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 06:23 PM
-
By marlinswin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 07-07-2003, 03:50 AM
-
By shaun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-26-2003, 10:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory
$149.99

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*
$785.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3
$550.00