-
Knoppix 3.2 freezes up
Hi, this is my first time using any version of Linux.
Sometimes Knoppix only shows the boot screen and then it goes black and I can hear the CD drive spin down and the monitor hibernates like it is getting no signal. Nothing happens after this so I restart my computer.
The times it gets past the initial screen, it goes to the one with the penguin and after a while, it starts listing the hardware detected and stuff. It also says "cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 2948" - is this unusual?
After this screen, I get a screen that is split into three vertical bars. The outside two are black and the middle is white. This voice says "initiated startup sequence" and sometimes a greenish window comes up saying "initializing system services". I can also move the cursor around. After about a minute, that box goes away and noting seems to happen. There doesn't seem to be any further booting going on.
So...What am I-or is my machine-doing wrong? If you need any more details, just ask. Thanks for your time.
-
Senior Member
registered user
The cloop errors sound like a bad cd. If you burned the disc yourself- check the md5sum of the .iso you downloaded. If you bought it.......well......
You can also boot like so:
boot: knoppix testcd
It should return something like "everything looks ok here" if the cd is good.
-
Hmmm. Checksum faild... And I spent all that time decorating the CD with Sharpies.
Ok, thanks a lot for the tip.
-
But...
I just burned the new 3.3 version and I get the same cloop error, only this time, a desktop and browser window come up but I can't click on anything.
testcd says it's a bad checksum again. could my burning software be causing this? I am using the nero6 version that came with the drive. Before it starts writing, it alerts that it will have to finalize the data to make it fit on the cd(700mb disc).
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: But...

Originally Posted by
Engon
I just burned the new 3.3 version and I get the same cloop error, only this time, a desktop and browser window come up but I can't click on anything.
testcd says it's a bad checksum again. could my burning software be causing this? I am using the nero6 version that came with the drive. Before it starts writing, it alerts that it will have to finalize the data to make it fit on the cd(700mb disc).
You need a patch to Nero it has problems you can get it here. The check sum error can be caused by a bad download you can get a program here to check the ISO before you burn it.
-
The patch wont install, says it's only for 5.5.10.50 and I updated to 5.5.10.54 (not 6 like I thought earlier).
I just tried ISO Recorder Power Toy and I get the same checksum error.
Hasher says the ISO checksum is ok.
Could this be a hardware issue? I have a Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW Model LTR-52246S
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Engon
The patch wont install, says it's only for 5.5.10.50 and I updated to 5.5.10.54 (not 6 like I thought earlier).
I just tried ISO Recorder Power Toy and I get the same checksum error.
Hasher says the ISO checksum is ok.
Could this be a hardware issue? I have a Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW Model LTR-52246S
How fast are you trying to burn it I usually never burn over 8x other than that have you had problems burning other disks?
-
Never had problems with other disks. I've been burning at 4x. My friend tried burning the iso on his machine and it still doesn't work (Using nero5 as well). Maybe I'lll get him to download an iso and burn it.
Thanks for the suggestions tho.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Engon
Never had problems with other disks. I've been burning at 4x. My friend tried burning the iso on his machine and it still doesn't work (Using nero5 as well). Maybe I'lll get him to download an iso and burn it.
Thanks for the suggestions tho.
You may want to try another burning program as well I have seen many people on the forum lately having problems with Nero.
Similar Threads
-
By kwak in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-16-2005, 05:53 PM
-
By cableghost in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-15-2004, 02:58 AM
-
By constellation in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-07-2004, 12:43 AM
-
By MarcoF in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-29-2004, 07:06 PM
-
By batrachomachia in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible
$39.00

Samsung Galaxy S10 10.9" FE 128GB WiFi Tablet SM-X520NZACXAR S-Pen Keyboard 2025
$299.00

Samsung 870 EVO 1 TB 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive MZ-77E1T0 Open Box
$199.99

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem
$152.99

Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2
$89.00

Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW
$30.89

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc
$27.99

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Samsung - Galaxy Tab A11+ - 11" 128GB - Wi-Fi - Gray - Brand new
$235.59

Samsung Chomrebook XE350XBA-K02US LCD Screen FHD Display 15.6" XE350XBA-K03US
$51.77